Origin of Life

by cofty 405 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Cofty, I cannot work the process of evolution into my present worldview for various reasons. But to be honest, finding life on Mars as well as demonstrating, in a lab, how life started from A-Z, would effectively demolish my present worldview and I would have to start the reconstruction process in all earnestness. But we are not there yet. Even if it could be done which I strongly doubt, then it would not be in my life time, I am reasonably sure of that.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Am not sure if we can ever solve the question of how life developed. But I think scientific knowledge will progress to the point that we can demonstrably prove at least one theory of how it could have happened. We will be able to say, with proof, that life definitely could have come about by X, Y, Z.

Maybe with future technological advances we will be able to examine remnants of the earliest most primitive microscopic pre-life biological systems that are currently hidden with current day technology. There might be other kinds of trace remnants of organisms apart from fossilization that we are currently unaware of or don't have the technology to examine.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Hi Viv, where have you been hiding? Good to hear from you. The wannabee microbiologist is again at your service.
    Interesting for a guy on psychedelic mushrooms to know man will reach a point in future where he is able to destroy his earthly home. It’s called prophecy, don’t you know? The little swallow knows not to defecate in his nest, a lesson man has not learnt as yet, especially now in the nuclear age.
    However, if vermin and insects invade your home and are in the process of destroying it, you get in pest control to get rid of them. Remember “Apocalypse Now!” and the general standing on the beach, saying: “I love the smell of napalm in the morning.” I, again, find solace in the words, “and to destroy those who are destroying the earth” (Rev. 11:18 NJB).

Are you high?

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Is it because you are not aware of recent developments in origin-of-life science?

No. It's because the rest of your argument is based on a hypothetical where you project your biases and disdain for the opposing view. There's no real substance added with this post other than it just being a starting point for the ever going origin of life debate, which I know you love being a part of, but, usually your posts are substantive.

Another thread outlining the latest developments in bio-genesis research would have been much more instructive and constructive.

• cofty
    cofty
    It's because the rest of your argument is based on a hypothetical where you project your biases and disdain for the opposing view.

Origin-of-life science is all about hypotheses. What did you expect?

I expressed my total contempt for SBF's bullshit attempt to destroy the conversation before it began. I am very interested in opposing views on this topic. That is why I started it. I find Vidqun's previous post to be very honest and interesting. Basically he, like many other theists are hoping it will never happen.

There's no real substance added with this post other than it just being a starting point for the ever going origin of life debate, which I know you love being a part of, but, usually your posts are substantive.

Yes. Forgive me for not spending hours over every OP I write. Just most of them.

Another thread outlining the latest developments in bio-genesis research would have been much more instructive and constructive.

I might do that. The point of this thread is to talk about how success in origin-of-life science would impact on theism. I think it is interesting.

• prologos
    prologos
    A ha: and oxygen reacts with organic compounds and they degrade.

but even slightly degraded complex once-alive compounds would be better than ground rock and water to have life start again? just speculating, there was a one-off energy event that was conducive to get life started.? anyway, the deist view, it all, however fantastic it is, life, consciousness, would not be here if there would not have been a creation event, and with our brains, if possible, it is only time that we could replicate life. but why would we need to, we have learned to manipulate the life we have to suit our needs. or?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I expressed my total contempt for SBF's bullshit attempt to destroy the conversation before it began. I am very interested in opposing views on this topic. That is why I started it. I find Vidqun's previous post to be very honest and interesting. Basically he, like many other theists are hoping it will never happen.

My post was an attempt to further the conversation by pointing out that the idea that scientific discoveries can settle questions about the nature or existence of God is itself questionable, at the very least.

You claim you are interested in hearing opposing views, but it seems to be along very narrow lines: creationists or theists with predictable responses that you feel you can easily dispatch are welcome.

However opposing views that question your approach at a more fundamental level don't appear to be entertained at all, to put it mildly. But why call an opposing view "trolling" just because you disagree with it?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Not sad--no really.

Mars may have life on it. Bacterial life. Images from a satellite above Mars excited people when they showed dark moving patches. If there is liquid on Mars, and it contains bacterial life, how will the Theists explain it away?

It's possible you mean to say -some Christians-, rather than theists? People who believe in some kind of intelligent god or gods or goddesses are not all Christians or typical in their beliefs. Life on Mars would not rule out the existence of an intelligent god, gods or goddesses. Life on Mars would mean there is life on Mars.
  • cofty
    cofty
    by pointing out that the idea that scientific discoveries can settle questions about the nature or existence of God is itself questionable - SBF

I said absolutely nothing about the existence of god.

views that question your approach at a more fundamental level ...

Which is code for the pseudo-intellectual, vacuous po-mo, bullshit you spout ad nauseum. Troll.

• cofty
    cofty
    but even slightly degraded complex once-alive compounds.. - Prologos

It is highly unlikely anything would progress as far as "life" in our aerobic world that is teeming with existing life in every conceivable niche.

The Alkaline Vents in which life probably appeared are not the same environments as they were 4 billion years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit