Origin of Life

by cofty 405 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

In recent years significant progress has been made in solving the question of how life originated on our planet.

How do you think theists will respond when it finally happens? As a former christian I know my reaction would have been something like "well that just goes to show that it takes intelligent life to make life", but for two reasons that defense doesn't work.

Firstly it would prove that life is not an ethereal force that originates with god. There is no 'ghost in the machine', no elan vital.

Also the excuse doesn't work because origin-of-life researchers are simply working to recreate the conditions that existed in a prebiotic earth to observe how life arose without intelligent agency.

"Life is nothing but an electron looking for a place to rest" - Albert Szent-Györgyi.

• A Ha
    A Ha

I think it will make things a little less frustrating for naturalists, but it won't change much to the type of theist who uses this argument to begin with. Their challenge will change from "You can't say how life got here," to "You can't prove that your successful lab experiments are the way life actually got here." (A variation of the 'you weren't there' argument.)

And, yes, you'll see variations on the "that just proves that someone intelligent had to set up the initial conditions" theme.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This thread reminds me of the Kingdom Song that goes:

Then they will know you only are Jehovah
    Then they will know your ways are just and true
    Then they will know throughout the whole creation
    All you have purposed you will surely do

JW believers and their atheist counterparts seem to share the same belief that at some point in the future their view of reality will be confirmed beyond doubt, once and for all. The evidence will be so overwhelming at Armageddon/following some scientific breakthrough, that their opponents will simply have to recognise the "truth" of the situation.

It is a fantasy.

• cofty
    cofty
    JW believers and their atheist counterparts seem to share the same belief ... - SBF

Troll

It's literally impossible to have an interesting conversation without you spouting your usual bullshit. So fucking boring.

• azor
    azor

I believe it will be some time before the majority on this planet except evolution, much less that there is likely no god(s). It's often said we're in the 21st century for goodness sake, bemoaning the lack of people's ability to accept reality.

In contrast to this view I'm amazed at how far we have come in such a short period of time. "Origin of Species" was written less then 2 centuries ago. We are essentially the same biologically speaking as we were 10,000 years ago. Emotions and the subconscious rule the day for even the most educated among us.

I believe mankind's progress on a global scale will only occur when neuroscience cracks our codex. I am hopeful that this will happen in my children's lifetime. They both have yet to see a decade pass.

• cofty
    cofty
    I'm amazed at how far we have come in such a short period of time - Azor

I think it is easy to forget that. Science is still relatively new and the progress that has been made in the last century is astonishing.

What do you mean by "codex" by the way?

• azor
    azor

Cofty don't let SBF get to you. You're better than that. Sometimes his posts are interesting, however he apparently has some sort of bone to pick with you.

SBF I thought you left? I guess you changed your mind again. What a Drama Queen.

• cofty
    cofty
    Their challenge will change from "You can't say how life got here," to "You can't prove that your successful lab experiments are the way life actually got here." - Aha

True. Of course any naturalistic origin of life that works proves that no magic is necessary.

• azor
    azor
    I'm using codex as an illustration of breaking down how our brain works. Consciousness being the most challenging.
  • cofty
    cofty

Yes I would not be surprised if consciousness proves to be a bigger challenge to explain than origin of life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit