faithful and discreet slave appointed in 1919?

by enoughisenough 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Hey Jeffro, regarding their 1919 teaching of "The ‘Jews to be restored to their homeland’ is literal' is something they got right, but they fully abandoned it just before it came true! They fully abandoned it just before Israel became a nation again in 1948. Regarding their former teaching of "The ‘great company’ (great crowd) has a heavenly hope" that is what the Bible book of Revelation teaches.

Vanderhoven7, I notice you said "the most important thing Russell got right was his stand against both immortality of the soul and related eternal torment teaching." Does that mean you (whom I thought was an evangelical mainstream Christian) believes the human soul is not immortal and that you believe the widespread doctrine of eternal torment in hell is false?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Yup.. read all about it in my book, Eternal Torment-Image and Reality, available at Amazon Books. I go through all 65 Sheol, 11 Hades and 12 Gehenna passages in the Bible looking for eternal torment. Then I go through every passage that deals with final punishment in the entire Bible again searching for eternal torment.

We end uo looking extensively at Luke 16:19-31 and Revelation 20:10; the first used to support temporary torment after death and the latter, endless torment of the devil, the beast and the false prophet.

As all good Jehovah's Witnesses know, there is not one verse that says the soul is immortal or that a single human being will be writhing in endless pain to the glory of God.

• Smiles
    Smiles

writhing in endless pleasure to the glory of God is not really there, either.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@Smiles

I would say it is biblical without the writhing.

Psalm 16:11 KJV — Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

For the joy that was set before Him Jesus forewent pleasure and endured the cross that He might win our hearts and reconcile us to the Father. Winning us was His ultimate pleasure and victory.

• Smiles
    Smiles

That's all you got...

a few ancient words upon which to cast your whole life and dangle in front of other people as absolute truth.

Not much different than WT GB.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Regardless of how you view the Bible, eternal pleasure is written therein as the destiny for the saints.

https://youtu.be/0zWZu-QupWU

• Smiles
    Smiles

*as a last resort, his believers then whip out the banjos to prove their case*

I can't argue with you there, Vanderbilly.

Good music

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

smiles- do you have something better and more concrete to offer ?

• Smiles
    Smiles

Better than banjos?

Better than promising an invisible bonanza that can be yours only via grim death?

• Listener
    Listener

From the OP Watchtower quote

" 1919, a time of spiritual revival, Jesus selected capable anointed brothers from among them to be the faithful and discreet slave and appointed them over his domestics."

Where is the evidence for this? Reality shows that there was no change in this hierarchical arrangement from one year to the next. The Watchtower doesn't even bother to name who these capable, anointed brothers were.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit