New Memorial Songs Were Very Good, IMO

by RubaDub 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence
    Maybe I'm biased, but I thought that the songs (like most of the new songs since 2010) sucked.
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

Is it possible that the songs were plagiarized?

Village Idiot ...

I'm not sure about the first song 147 but the second song 149 does sound surprising close to Led Zepelin's Stairway to Heaven when you play it backwards.

Rub a Dub

Flag Dislike
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I respect the view of musical people and if I had really listened to it perhaps the orchestration would be pleasing..but to sing to, the cong had difficulty . The songs certainly did not resonate and the words seemed trite.

Sister Blues, committed to the Memorial but loudly dismissed the songs as "rubbish"..She just missed the old one

"Jehovah, our father in heaven

Oh this is a most sacred night"

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Well, if it sounds like Stairway to Heaven played backwards, I will just listen to the original played forward. And I hope Jimmy Page sues the washtowel for this, unlike Vangelis when they had the chance to sue for plagiarizing Chariots of Fire on Kingdumb Malady 42 in the 1984 book.

And while I am at it, I will find out what other gems are on Led Zeppelin IV. That album is worth everything you are going to pay for it. Which is more than can be said about the Kingdumb maladies which aren't even worth the electricity needed to play them.

• millie210
    millie210

Good music played over and over homogenizes itself.

The songs sounded like background for a movie.

Not one single complaint about their technical

quality.

Unfortunately for them, that isnt what makes a person "feel" the music.

It is being able to follow the song and sing it enjoyably. It is singing the same song for years and all the nostalgia that brings with it.

Since this is the JWs only holiday and the Memorial songs were like their own "Silent Night" they really should have left it alone.

Im glad they changed it however. One more reason to NOT find Memorial nostalgic.

• humblepotato
    humblepotato

I agree! I found the MUSIC and the ORCHESTRATION beautiful... especially 149. They were only marred by dreadful lyrics...

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I thought the closing song (149) was reminiscent of the opening score from The West Wing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JivPEYjYd20

I don't know...you be the judge:

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/sing-to-jehovah-new-songs/149-grateful-for-the-ransom/

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

I didn't like them. Translation into our little European language is always a problem.

Melody was a weak version of the Lion King theme.

It's so pathetic, the American dream.

Gorby

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

Hey, I just gotta put my two cents in here too. I thought the songs were in good taste. Now. I'm probably one of the first to be on this site ripping on the the Watchtower and the GB for this or for that, but when credit is due, I'll also do that too. I'm not afraid of that, even if it's for the Watchtower.

So, there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit