Is there truth in religion

by bola 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

There is no truth in religion which is why religious belief has to be protected by a vast array of secular laws.

• Perry
    Perry

Of course. There is some truth is probably most religions just as there is some truth in most philosophies. They are just not the Source of Truth. ANY group professing ANY ideology is led by human leaders, and that is where we get into trouble, believing in humans.

"if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch" - Jesus @ Mt. 15:14

• stillin
    stillin

There are physical laws that probably extend into the "religious" realm. Cause and effect, for example. One religion might call it Karma while another might call it kismet, or salvation. I think there is some order in the universe, I just am not clear on how it works.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I am asking this questions due to the teachings, beliefs and practices of different religions.

In short, yes. There are degrees of truths in many religions. Personally I think that looking for "a true religion" is the wrong approach to healthy spirituality.

It is sad that many controlling groups use half truths and pseudo facts to entice people to join them. On the other hand, some well intended religious organizations may try to force people to do believe things that are not accurate or true.

Also, please keep in mind that knowledge of some truthful facts are not the only things that people look for when joining a religion. Some people can't care less if they are believing or saying something that doesn't make sense. Instead, they care more of what religions make them feel. Their feeling part of a community, feeling taken care of, feeling hope, staying away from the streets, etc, those things are more important to them than if what they preach is accurate.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    There may be some truth in some aspects of religion but here's the good bit: you don't have to join a religion to live a good life.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Religion is inherently sourced from human ignorance but it may still contain within itself helpful redeeming attributes from a humanistic perspective.

• never a jw
    never a jw

the only truth I have heard is when a member of a certain religious group says "all other religions are wrong"

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

There may be truth or some truths. But, does that justify all the centuries of evil and suffering ALL religions have caused to mankind? No.

• millie210
    millie210

So many well presented thoughts above.

I can only add that religion must serve some type of purpose that is deemed necessary, for it to have survived among people in one form or another for so long now.

Contained within that "purpose" are some kernels that are "true". Enough that people gulp down the whole concept.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I believe there is truth in most religions. Most say it is wrong to steal, murder, cheat on your wife etc.

The central untruth however, is that any religion can save/justify you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit