Why Are You Here?

by Believer 133 Replies latest jw experiences

• Believer
    Believer

Xanthippe said:

A very small number have set themselves up as guardians of the forum as if they think we can't listen to believers and decide for ourselves.

Wow! I never considered that. It’s kinda like the GB who stamp down other religions and scare JWs into not reading opposing information. But as the nonbelievers are wont to say, if your view is true, then it should be able to stand up to fair criticism. So if nonbelievers try to shut down the free speech of believers, then what does that say? Hmmmm.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

l wouldn't compare them to the GB, that's way too strong. I do think some of them genuinely think they are protecting us.

• Believer
    Believer

Millie 210 said:

They created a need and couldn’t fill it, so I went looking and ended up here.

I can relate to that. I felt the same way when I left, but I hadn’t articulated it in that way. The WT does create a need – a need to know God, to know truth, to study, to search – and yet they couldn’t fill that need. So that’s a good point for me! In association with them, I developed a love for God, but when they attempted to usurp that position in my heart and in my faith, I had to leave.

I also like your philosophy and appreciate your wisdom. Thx for staying here.

• Believer
    Believer

Xanthippe, so do the GB, or at the very least, the elders who carry their water.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

No Believer the GB are protecting their rock star lifestyle, they don't give a shit about you, never forget that.

• stillin
    stillin

I figure that in an infinite universe, anything is possible. You get a lot of viewpoints here.

• Believer
    Believer

I could not care any less what the GB thinks of me. It is a non issue. And I respect your view. People in power are always concerned about losing that power. But on some level, at least the local level, the footstep followers and JW apologists do think they are serving as protectors. So maybe i'll compare the faith haters here with them.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

When I first came to this Site I was a Bible believer. Later that morphed in to a belief in a Supreme Being, not the god of the Bible.

Then I decided to lead an evidence based life, so belief is not part of my world.

In all this process I was treated kindly, by both believers and non-believers on this Site. I was helped on my journey.

I do think that believers should be up for robust debate if they feel strong enough to do so, it is helpful to many.

But as for scaring them off by saying some sort of Cabal rules the roost here and they don't stand a chance, I don't think so. The only time you will get a rough ride here as a believer is if you assert that we must believe as you do, or that some evidence exists to support your beliefs. Expect short shrift if you try that on !

• Believer
    Believer

OK Phizzy. Fair enough. I'll keep that in mind.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I learn a lot here that I can and sometimes use to challenge Jehovah's Witnesses on other Christian forums.

If ever I write a book for Evangelicals, I will probably entitle it something like:

"How to talk theology with Jehovah's Witnesses"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit