Why Did JWs Abandon Brooklyn for the Sticks?

by Room 215 45 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

cash

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I also think that the bad economy back in 2008-2009 had a lot to do with it. If one really looks at how they've acted over the past few years you can tell that these were finally told some news that was bad. I'm thinking that somewhere along the line it came to light to the GB that the number of JWs in the cult wasn't as large as they've been led to believe and that a huge number were leaving.

Once this news got to the GB or whomever is really pulling the strings things started happening quickly to try to save the sinking ship and that why we have now a much different cult . A cult that is smaller in expenses, no longer doing much printing and is trying thier darndest to shield thier members from any out side source like people asking questions etc.. This is why they now direct people to the website, sit behind carts and are being taught less and less since even the Bible exposes them as a fraud.

• steve2
    steve2

*** w12 8/15 p. 17 A Meeting Marked by Unity and Thrilling Plans ***

There are plans to develop a 248-acre (100 ha) property at Warwick. “Although we are not yet certain of Jehovah’s will regarding Warwick,” said Brother Pierce, “we are proceeding to develop the site with the intention of relocating the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses there.” Plans are also being made to use a 50-acre (20 ha) parcel of land situated six miles (10 km) north of Warwick to facilitate the staging of machinery and building material. “Once construction is permitted, we hope to complete the entire project within four years,” said Brother Pierce. “Then our property in Brooklyn can be sold.”

In 2012, the brothers were so confident that the end would not arrive before 2016 that they could announce plans for a four-year construction.

As regards your question about how did they"sell" the move to the rank and file, are you serious?

What do you have to sell to sheep?

You just tell them what's happening and they baaa in appreciation. Besides, the bulk of JWs dont' live in New York state or surrounds so wouldn't have the foggiest about what's happening - apart from the positive spin provided on JW.org.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Catholics got their Vatican city, soooooo.........

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

It's insanely expensive to operate in NYC.

They've been slowly moving since 2003 or so when they moved the printery and shipping to Wallkill.

What I really don't get is why they didn't just build the new complex at Patterson OR Wallkill which both have a ton of space for all that.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Warwick has decided to get in bed with many religious organizations, giving them all kinds of tax breaks. Why? Who knows?

DD

• SadElder
    SadElder

Always the money. Follow the money.

I still wonder how this will play out for the lowly Bethelite. The ones who have no influence, don't get sent out on speaking assignments where they may receive the "paper handshake" to help with their expenses. In Brooklyn they were able to use mass transit to get to the kingdub hall, now they will be left in the dust with no personal vehicle.

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

Because someone back at Bethel had a frightening revelation after seeing the 1998 movie, Deep Impact.

After the small comet Biederman hit the Atlantic Ocean a giant tsunami is shown headed for New York City. In one shot you can clearly see the destruction of the Brooklyn Bridge. The viewing angle of that scene appears to be coming from the top of the Furman street Bethel building.

Video clip of the wave taking over the bridge

Just kidding... or not.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I can't help but believe that this is a colossal mistake. Brooklyn Heights is the history of the Wt. Their identity has always been linked to the buildings in Brooklyn. I think they have walked away from a historic anchor that many old (and not so old-timers) timers cherished.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

1. High maintenance costs for mid-rises in Brooklyn

2. A fine tuned, state of the art Bethel campus in the woods is much nicer for the day to day lives of the GB and Bethel heavies.

3. The amenities that NYC offers wasn't of much value to the GB. Broadway is full of those homosexualites and such like things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit