What is the Latest JW Teaching on the Last Days and 1914

by Distracted 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Distracted
    Distracted
    I was just wondering what the Witnesses are saying now about the Last Days and how they know Armageddon is real close, etc. What is the latest teaching about 1914?
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS is still holding on to 1914 mostly because they aren't quite sure how to drop it and lose potential viability of themselves.

So what did they do ? they created another fictitious doctrine of " Overlapping Generations " pertaining to 1914.

Armageddon soon was exploitatively used to allure attention to the WTS literature for very a long time, it has faded somewhat over the years in comparison to what was done back in the 1960's to 1990's, for it was a means to attract people to their organization in the first place.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

They still believe 1914 is the end of the gentile times according to their interpretation of Daniel 4. However the generation doctrine that within the lifetime of the 1914 generation Armageddon would occur has been modified.

The generation is now defined thusly: Anointed brother X was of the 1914 generation. Anointed brother Y was born decades later but knew brother X.

So the generation is now: Brother X's lifetime until he came to know brother Y + Brother Y's lifetime after he came to know brother X. Now some time in the far distant future brother Y's generation is going to be close to its natural maximum lifespan and then they'll have to introduce brother Z. But that's the problem for the another Governing Body and the current Governing Body hope that they'll all be dead by then.

See: 2010, the April 15th Watchtower

Also: http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/generation.php

• Calebs Airplane
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS since its beginning was never grounded in solid bible theological interpretation.

The fact that it espoused the theology of Pyramidology as a means to support the returning advent of Christ is reliable proof of that fact.

The men who started it were not true bible theologians, really more than people who themselves were attracted to other people's thoughts and ideas surrounding the Adventist movement at the time..

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

As far as I know ''the last days'' which commenced began in 1914 & to this day the Borg has held on to that understanding. For a lack of better words, lately we hear ''we are in the last, of the last days'', something to that effect.

Lately, the Borg has done some real tinkering with the term ''generations''. Refining the Awake magazine in Nov 1995 was one of those ''refinements''. An additional ''refining'' I believe in 2010 I think it was something to do with ''overlapping generations''. Then lately, there seems to be an overlap, overlap generation of anointed.

Where I'm going with this , I will venture and say the Borg will likely not drop the 1914 date, but it will become less and less of any significance, mentioned less and less and eventually of no value at all.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The " The Last Days " was actually preached and taught by CT Russell through his Zion's Watchtower way back in 1874 when Christ then supposedly returned, so realistically the WTS has been preaching that mankind is living in the last days for over 140 years.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    The term ''Last Days'' is/was supposed to be a short period of time. Not a century or more.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

It's coming ... soon!

In the meantime, please send money!!!

• steve2
    steve2

"The last days" now spans three centuries, because Chuck Russell taught they started in his time, the 19th Century. We are now in the 21st Century.

Tell me, are they better described, not as "the last days" but as "the last centuries" - which literally speaking, they are?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit