Was There An Occasion Where An Entire Congregation Broke Away?

by pale.emperor 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• new boy
    new boy

The town in Texas that all left was mentioned in Lloyd Evens book.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

There was a cong in Brooklyn, I think it was the Spring Creek Cong where most of congregation was disfellowshipped and back in the late 70's or early 80's

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I believe James Penton brought the house down when he was removed.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes in fact there is a book about the story of how a hundred or so JWs in Alberta left the organisation along with Penton. I don’t think they manged to take a Kingdom Hall with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Crisis-Allegiance-James-Beverley/dp/0920413374

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

@Snugglebunny

cantleave replied thus:

"Many years ago in the 60's, there was one particular guy who pretty much led his own cult. Half the Congregation eent off the rails and what was left was merged with Titchfield/ Fareham congregation."

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Yes I know a bro name of Mike Rodgers that was "sent" to the Bonham, TX congo to sort of "spy" on the goings on in that congo. He and his wife had just returned from a Central America missionary assignment that didn't work out so the society assigned him to "go help out" in Bohnam. I believe that Mike is now a CO is the Spanish spealking jw's.

just saying!

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

It happened in Italy. I believe it was in Sicily back in the early 80's.

• OnTheWayOut
  • blondie
    blondie

I can remember a congregation in Rifle, CO, drew up a petition about a question regarding WTS policy, signed by the majority and sent it to the WT headquarters in NYC. The congregation was disbanded and some were df'd. Not the way to lodge a complaint with the WTS. This happened around the late 70's early 80's.

• careful
    careful

Pretty much an entire country once broke away: it was Taiwan, I think. This was reported in the WTS literature. I remember reading about it in a yearbook, back when the yearbooks, for a particular year, focused on the history of the org in just a few countries. The incident occurred years ago, back in the days of one branch servant. The guy had some falling out with Knorr and Franz, or maybe it was JFR? They "removed" him but most of the country went with the guy, not with the org. For years afterward, "growth was very slow there," to quote the official line. The guy had poisoned the well for the org. Eventually the org recovered, of course, but it took many years to do so.

If someone here has the yearbooks in their library, perhaps they can find the story by finding out which year has the history of Taiwan in it. Today they would never relate the story (or likely put the ybs online or on a CD), but I remember reading it in a old yb. That yb dates to sometime after the late 50s or early 60s. Back then they gave a short blurb on each country. If I remember correctly, it was a yb from the 1970s (but I might be wrong here). I think it was in the late 60s or early 70s when they began the yb format of focusing on the history of just a few countries each year. They used to give quite a history. I imagine when they came out with Proclaimers book, those ybs were a major source of info for it. The Proclaimers book, however, nowhere mentions the Taiwan break-away like the older yb did.

If someone could find this yb, I'd appreciate knowing the year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit