ex-JWs: Do you now say "Bless You!" when someone sneezes?

by Yizuman 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Most JWs can't say "God Bless You" or "Bless You" when someone sneezes for fear of blessing someone with the wrong god.

Now that you are out, do you have the nerve to say it?

Yizuman

• Introspection
    Introspection

Sure. The whole thing wasn't a big deal until you learned about the background right? Most people just take it as wishing someone well, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. It's just a kind of artifact. JWs are the ones making a big deal out of it, there's certainly no intention to supplicate the demons or whatever this was about.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I don't say it very often to people...but my cats have a habit of sneezing after they eat and I always say 'Bless You Kitty!' in fact if I forget my big fluffy black Wegie comes and looks for 'momma' to see why I missed it! My husband says it, so I picked it up from him. However I can not quite get myself to say "God" Bless you....and my favorite letter sign off is :

Bright Blessings of Light and Dark,

Ravyn

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

AAAACHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

*SNIFFLES!*

Yizuman

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

Good point - Didnt but do now ! it was bad bad no no in the dubs werent it !

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

God bless you, Yizuman.

Someone told me that when you sneeze your heart skips a beat and that's why people say "God bless you." I don't know if this holds any water--I'm just repeating.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

If they lived in China....my reply would be......" Sars You "

• freedom96
    freedom96

Sure, why not? Doesn't hurt to say.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    Someone told me that when you sneeze your heart skips a beat and that's why people say "God bless you." I don't know if this holds any water--I'm just repeating.

Interesting. I never asked where this came from or how this came about either.

Yizuman

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

I'm still uncomfortable with that saying. I think it's more my way of avoiding any religiosity whenever possible. And it bugs me when I've "been blessed". Blessing after the fact does no good, if you're going to invoke the power of the god(s) then make me not sneeze in the first place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit