Even if it's not the truth, it's still the best way to live

by Simon 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon

How many times did you hear that gem? It often went along with "the truth is a protection" which is their way of saying "living a moral life is good for you ... and you can't do that without us".

But think about what people are really saying. I think the real message is "I know it's not the truth, but I chose to follow it anyway".

It seems like a pre-emptive argument because they know they can't defend it as "the truth" so instead they switch to defending it as a lifestyle.

Of course any kind of lifestyle that has a decent moral ingredient to it, respect for law and order, discipline etc... probably increases people's chances of doing better in life, but they don't have a monopoly on it.

So just remember, next time you hear someone saying "even if it's not the truth" what they are really admitting is that they already know it isn't.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I truly enjoy the community, the gatherings. The Spanish cong is a lot of fun; just a different lifestyle.

No need to hate and stress so much about it.

DY

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

It's hate to ask a question? Or to make a point? Simon is right in this case. It is the only defense of one who has no other.

• honest
    honest

Simon is correct. Jw's don't really care about truth, they love the social structure, parties, friends etc etc. If they really worried about truth they would leave the organisation, the organisations history is proof enough, current generation teachings should of woken up every jw! what I have observed is that the social click is very strong,they only have jw friends, it's what they are comfortable with. The real truth seekers are those who leave or fade away and make a life outside the jw social click.

When I speak with jw family I feel sorry for them, they would rather be in a captive religion than allow themselves the freedom to question. I have pity for them. True pity.... Poor deluded and manipulated human beings. As for us I'm so happy to have left that manipulation and brain Borg group. Sure I'm inactive and occasionally attend a memorial or special talks, I do this for family, but gives me reassurance and I can see objectively how manipulated these poor souls are. I am so happy to have woken up and reclaimed my life. Watchtower is such a evil organisation, I can see it clearly. The people in it are mostly good and caring people but have allowed themselves to be controlled 😞 eg shunning is such a unnatural practice yet they will obey the leaders stance on this even cutting off family. They are no different to the people's Temple , they are a danger because they are being manipulated.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Interesting post.

Of course any kind of lifestyle that has a decent moral ingredient to it, respect for law and order, discipline etc... probably increases people's chances of doing better in life, but they don't have a monopoly on it.

Actually, what I hate the most about that "ostrich-like" attitude is that they still attack other healthy moral ways of living. They do attempt to have a monopoly on their righteousness.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

What the heck is "the truth" in ANY case, religious or otherwise. It's all relative and ever changing.

No matter your circumstance, make a conscious decision to be joyful.

After a nice family dinner, I'm feeling quite alright and thankful with my lot in life. Wishing the same for you all.

Life's so short to be ofuscated in stuff one cannot change.

DY

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Accentuate the positive. There's much of it everywhere!

DY

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

Ah, Pascal's wager... The problem I've always had with this is that, at least in some scenerios, choosing the wrong religion gets you sent to Hell. Simply 'feeling good' is no compensation if your religion is not only false, but damnable.

According to the internet (which is never wrong), there are 33,000 sects of Christianity in the present. Granted, most of them are not exclusivist when it comes to salvation, so I'll be really generous here and cut that number down to one percent, or 330. This leaves us with the following premises:

1) There are 330 varieties of Christianity out there, all claiming to be the one true church.

2) No more than one of them can be correct in this claim; but all of them could very easily be wrong.

3) If you decide to play and join one of these competing sects, you have, roughly, a 99.7% of being damned anyways and probably being tortured in Hell forever to boot; and that is assuming that at least ONE of them is the true Christian church (tm). If Islam turns out to be the One True Religion (tm) then you can up your chances of eternal hellfire to 100% certainty.

Taking the preceeding into account I offer you my own wager:

1) Either the Bible/Qur'an/Book of Mormon is or is not the word of God

2) If it isn't the word of God, you can enjoy yourself all you want in this life without facing any consequences in the next one.

3) If, however, one of these books IS the word of God, it is almost certain that you will be damned for all eternity no matter how you live or what you believe; therefore...

4) You may as well live your life as if all these holy books are poppycock and enjoy yourself.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

So just remember, next time you hear someone saying "even if it's not the truth" what they are really admitting is that they already know it isn't.....Simon

Like you, I was raised in the WBT$/JW Cult......It`s a very common saying.

Most JW`s don`t care if it`s the truth or not..

When you`re a member of the WBT$/JW Cult..

Truth Isn`t a Priority..

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

You can find social directions in many religious institutions but as in the JW cult there consequences of being a JWS like having to abandon your own children or parents if they decide they aren't interested in this lifestyle/religion.

Marriages get separated or dont even occur when one individual doesn't want to be involved, there is a case of this just recently on a posted thread here.

Then there's those circumstances of refusing a blood transfusion or organ transplant which resulted in someone's death.

The many restrictions of participating in local community involvement or outside charities that the JWS admonish.

The high enforced regulation as to whom are to be your personal friends at school and Work.

the list goes on .....

The constant pressure and scrutiny infused with guilt or shame toward participating in the preaching service work or sales distribution of the WTS's publications.

Over all those restrictions and many more does that really make for a great fulfilling lifestyle ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit