Kingdom Hall being sold to church

by tinman72 38 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• simplesally
    simplesally

In California, at least (if not all the states), it is illegal to refuse to sell to any party based on religion. So, you can refuse to sell if you don't get a full price offer, but if they offer full price you have to sell or face legal consequences.

• rocketman
    rocketman

In this area, I've seen two KHs sold over the years, one to another religious group, and one to a dentist.

The Society also gave direction recently in a QFR about buying property from another religion. Basically, they view it as a 'business deal' and the only thing they frown on is "socializing" with the sellers. So you can do business with them, just don't be too friendly.

• BadJerry
    BadJerry

this also had happened to a hall when we lived in ND ,it was sold to a church, The sisters would just say Jah is no longer there since they wern't.

The hall was being shared by two congregations, Off they went to each get their land, One was built within a year the other one (this was 9 years ago) still has no building on it because they can't afford it. They were so excited to put out a Quick Build Sign, but the sign was only up a few months because people kept asking "What's a Quick Build" ? Funny they still have to share.

from IMANALIENTO logging on to hubby's ID

• gcc2k
    gcc2k
    The Society also gave direction recently in a QFR about buying property from another religion. Basically, they view it as a 'business deal' and the only thing they frown on is "socializing" with the sellers. So you can do business with them, just don't be too friendly.

What's a QFR?

I think it's wrong for them to sell to "Babylon". Doesn't it allow the false worshipers to have a place to gather?

In a rural area somewhere near Watchtower and/or Patterson, there was an assembly hall smack in the middle of a large Hassidic community. The Witnesses were supposedly met with nasty looks and the occasional rock thrown at their car as they drove in, which was one of the reasons for selling it. They did in fact sell that hall to the Hasidim, and built a brand new one in another area (which I believe suffered a strange fire just before its completion).

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Goodness, this and Holocaust seminars are the only ecumenical activities JWs participate in. Let's not take it away from them.

• blondie
    blondie

I know of a KH in Wisconsin that was sold to a Muslim association. I always wondered how that was possible if JWs were not to do business with BTG.

I also know of a Baptist church that was purchased by a congregation. There was an area behind the podium for the choir and a baptismal in the floor in front of the stage.

Blondie

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

One of the old Kingdom Hall's near me was sold to a Pentecoastal Church.

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

The KH that I used to attend was also sold to a church. I couldn't beleive it since they tell the publishers not to buy at Salvation Army etc so you don't support Bablyon the Great and here they also benefited from the same thing they told us was wrong. Geeeee same old, same old. It is always different if it benefits the big boys.

Leslie

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

WOW! Can you get me a copy of the QFR? Isn't doing repair work on a church simply "a business deal"? Since when can a JW have direct business dealings with a church? And if an individual cannot have direct business dealings with a church, then why can the congregation or the Society? Funny, you can't work one time on the heating system of a church for your employer who is Honeywell Corporation. But the local congregation can sell a KH to a church? Or buy a church from another religion?

It never fails to amaze me how strict the religion is on the individual, and how lenient it is on the Society itself. And how "new light" comes just when the Society gets some benefit from it. Nice to know that Jehovah lets $$ rule.

I remember getting told that I cannot bid on a old military truck, simply because I would be purchasing it from the military. Even if I got it for $1, it was still "wrong" because that $1 would be contributing towards the military. My reply was that reasoning was silly. I guess I should have tried to purchase a huge building for hundreds of thousands of dollars instead.

Richard

• Jourles
    Jourles

Here is what I found on the CD ------

*** dx30-85 Question Box ***proper to buy church for use as Kingdom Hall or sell former hall for use as church?: km 7/69 4

It came back as saying that this particular KM is unavailable on the 2001 cdrom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit