That One Defining Moment That Changed Your Life.

by new boy 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• new boy
    new boy

It seems that many times in life there is a moment or an action that changes your whole world. It could be just a look that someone gives you.

Many times it can be something rather small. Something hardly noticeable by anyone but you. However when it happens you know you have crossed over into a whole other world. You have come to one of those huge defining moments in your life. A line has been crossed.

Like in the movie "Doctor Zhivago" when he had seen enough and turned his horse in another direction and left not caring if he was caught or not.

Or even when a marriage ends. Years of yelling and screaming and unhappiness ends one day because you didn't load the dishwasher properly. It wasn't the dishwasher and how it was loaded. It was everything that lead up to that moment!

My marriage was over years before that one moment came for me.

As they say it was "The straw that broke the camel's back."

That moment that tells you that you have been living a lie. That moment that tells you that you are done.

Done with the job, the relationship, the religion or sadly with life itself.

For a lack of a nail the shoe was lost. For the lack of a shoe the horse was lost. For the lack of a horse the rider was lost. For the lack of a rider the battle was lost.

What has been your defining moments?

• mann377
    mann377

When I figured that there were no bigger fools than those that fool themselves!

• jambon1
    jambon1

Listening to David Attenborough describe the 'creation' of worms which cause river blindness versus 'creation' such as butterflies or beautiful flowers.

Sitting in my living room in December 2002 saying to myself 'I'm out the truth'. Took me 3 further years to leave.

In this clip, his chat is nesr the end....

https://youtu.be/jSugaWJW2bk

• Freeandclear
    Freeandclear

I've had three such moments that spring to mind.

1. Sitting at Three River Statium in Pittsburgh PA about 1987 at 16 years of age realizing that "This is the Truth, everything is from the Bible and indisputable"..... That changed the entire course of my life for the next 28 years.

2. Reading Crisis of Conscience and then the entire WJFacts.com website and realizing it was all just a scam and then dealing with that aftermath. The loss of my faith and my entire worldview was quite the undertaking.... still working on it.

3. The day I met "her", my muse, the love of my life and my succubus. That was by far the most powerful thing I've ever been through and is still affecting me to this day.... and not for the better......

Life is full of these moments when we change instantly from one thing to another. Crazy huh?

• blondie
    blondie

I heard this applied in a positive way at my last meeting ever/a circuit assembly 15 years ago. Here it is applied in the proper way. I had been inactive 3 periods of time up till then. This became the last one...still not going and never will. This was followed by the marrying a non-jw is like kissing a corpse, and If Jesus saw a dirty quarter and a clean, shiny penny which would he pick up....the clean penny of course (said from the platform at the same circuit assembly).

https://mukuyu.wordpress.com/reflections/the-baby-elephant-syndrome/

There is a story about elephants and their owners in Africa. Look at an adult elephant; it can easily uproot huge trees with its trunk; it can knock down a house without much trouble.

When an elephant living in captivity is still a baby, it is tied to a tree with a strong rope or a chain every night. Because it is the nature of elephants to roam free, the baby elephant instinctively tries with all its might to break the rope. But it isn’t yet strong enough to do so. Realizing its efforts are of no use, it finally gives up and stops struggling. The baby elephant tries and fails many times, it will never try again for the rest of its life.

Later, when the elephant is fully grown, it can be tied to a small tree with a thin rope. It could then easily free itself by uprooting the tree or breaking the rope. But because its mind has been conditioned by its prior experiences, it doesn’t make the slightest attempt to break free. The powerfully gigantic elephant has limited its present abilities by the limitations of the past—-hence, the Baby Elephant Syndrome.

Human beings are exactly like the elephant except for one thing—We can CHOOSE not to accept the false boundaries and limitations created by the past…

” Don’t let your past dictate who you are, but let it be part of who you become.”

– Anonymous

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Long story, short.

When the man I loved, married someone else...

I was devastated and didn't really care what course my life took, but I knew I couldn't take it seeing them at assemblys etc, so I ended up moving away, marrying someone I barely knew who was a psychopath. The first time he hit me, we wern't even married a month. He made me believe I was the one that was crazy. I believed him. I lived with a plastic smile permanently etched to my face, praying fervently for armageddon... and paradise, just around the corner.

Going through a divorce and reading CofC, totally changed my life for... the better! Next, having a small trust fund, and using it as a down payment on a house, that I just moved into recently, has finally given me my balance back, along with a real smile. I love where I live. My shangra la. It has taken me many years to get here. I would like a superman in my life... Who knows? Just keep living. There are actually many pleasant surprises out there... But you have to be alive to embrace them.

• schnell
    schnell
    • When I learned what evolution really is.
    • When I met my wife for the first time.
    • The skeletal look in my father's face as I went with him to his last chemo and drove him home. I knew I had to take care of myself and my mom.
    • When I realized I'm pretty damn good at driving a truck.
    • When my father passed away.
    • When I was taken in the backroom to discuss my relationship with my unbaptized girlfriend.
    • When I broke up with her to keep my hope for "privileges" that I never got, and some other sod went in for her.
    • When she broke up with him (quite literally to "You Give Love a Bad Name" I must add!), and I was told by her mom to just talk to her as a friend. She needed it.
    • When she said yes, because things went from there.
    • When I lost my job.
    • When we moved and both started working for Witnesses and realized how terrible it was and unhappy we were to work for them.
    • When my brother got a miserable miscarriage of justice at the hands of the elders. Is this the kind of system I wish to expose people to if they show interest at the door?
    • When I could no longer rationalize about evolution. I accepted it for what it is and began reevaluating all the claims the WTBTS makes about our world from 4026 BCE onward.
  • prologos
    prologos

I arrived home after a day of service, and on our bed was a brown mail wrapper. special delivery, bethel style, the latest wt mag, per subscription. rapt attention to Question from reader, and: " Superior Authorities not J&j, but the governments ". I never felt so deflated. We just had come that afternoon from a bible study in the brown, -s-coloured " Let god be true-- man a liar 'book, that had driven home the unique wt doctrine, that only J&j are superior, -governments are nothing. We were made fools of, despite a brilliant and desperate defense of an untenable position. snap.

WT will never make fools of us again.

when 1975 was in their next book, we build our first house, still in the family as a monument to wt errors, that cause so much harm.

• Steel
    Steel

Birth of my son

Getting my heart broken at 18 years old. Diffinetly a positive experience. It taught me time really does heal old wounds and sex doesn't mean love.

Watching a high school crush of seven years marry another guy. Funny thing is we did reconnect years later and told me she thought of me often.

Reading a book called the two powers in heaven, basically explaining the plurality of old testament god and who new testament thought jesus was. It literally destroyed any chance of me ever getting baptized or taking the Wts with any seriousness.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The really big thing for me was reading the Bible book of Daniel with an open mind and thinking, " How do you get to 1914 from this ? the fulfillment of the prophecy is in the very same chapter !"

The WT/JW Org doctrines are on the foundation of 1914, everything they teach and stand for is based upon that one year.

The whole JW teaching fell down like a House of Cards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit