Emergency COVID Ration Spam Fritters

by Simon 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

So as things are now opening up and food never ran out, I've been dipping into our emergency supplies. They say that SPAM doesn't have a shelf-life, it has a half-life, but I kind of wanted to see if it was like I remembered as a kid.

As it turns out SPAM fritters are as delicious as I remember, probably better ('cause I did fancy ones)

I used this recipe and they were glorious. So if you have some tins put away, give it a try.

https://www.dontgobaconmyheart.co.uk/spam-fritters/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOzST-G6zO8

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Right behind the oysters and sardines.

• Simon
    Simon
    Right behind the oysters and sardines.

Urgh, the only sea-food I eat out of a tin is Tuna.

We have a lot of that too, but Tuna sandwiches with mayo are also delicious.

I also love baked beans on toast.

I'm a cheap date.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Like tuna, salmon in the tin is top list too.

Grilled Balogna on a warmed corn tortilla? Little dash of dijon mustard. Heaven.

Pork belly in mac n cheese or ramen? Oh yes. Frat dinners live on.

• Listener
    Listener

I agree with you, girl next door, tinned Salmon is fantastic. It doesn't have that dry coarse texture of tinned Tuna and has a better flavour. The price has gone up significantly in the past year but Tuna remains cheap.

Smoked muscles and oysters are delicious and make for a good snack on crackers but most of the canned produce comes out of China.

I've got a can of Mackerel in the pantry and can't bring myself to open it.

Out of all the canned foods on the Supermarket shelves during the shortages, only Spam was always available and even being discounted.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SIMON:

I never had Spam but I am tempted to try it after seeing this and a commercial on TV which made me hungry.

Never tried baked beans on toast.
  • stan livedeath
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

I have not been to Hawaii (bucket list item) but have heard that Spam is very popular there. It seems to have become popular in WWII when other meats were difficult to get there. Now they have dozens of different ways to prepare it.

My wife won't eat it but I occasionally buy a tin of it and have slices for breakfast. Really good. It makes me think of my father when he would buy it and we would have it on a Sunday morning.

When I am writing this it is Sunday morning, 8AM EDT, wife is still sleeping. I am going to the store and buy a tin. I'll slice it, fry it and put a runny, half-cooked (sunny side up) egg on top. Just the way he always ate it.

My wife can have her Cheerios, Special K or something else.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I am not getting complacent because I am seeing certain items showing up on the store shelves again. All it takes is one shutdown in one plant, whether justified or not, to make even worse shortages appear without further warning. It takes one incident of horseplay at a packing plant, where someone dies and is falsely labeled "coronavirus", to do something like this. And then there are scalpers--those who buy out whole lots of items and sell them at grossly inflated prices or just to create shortages for everyone else.

Not to mention government agencies. The likes of the FDA, USDA, FTC, and so on are not our friends but the friends of the drug companies that want to profit off our misery and artificially shortened lifespans (and of the reptilians that gloat about shaving 90% off our lifespans). These agencies can and will shut down anyone that tries bypassing the big companies, ensuring that what would have been a shortage of your favorite brand becomes a full famine. And, more riots (or disappearing of our rights, especially of white people that seem to be most hated these days) could lead to more supply disruptions that could lead to famine.

Yes, it is nice to see items back on store shelves. It is nice to see facial tissue, toilet paper, bleach, hand sanitizer, and so on back (even if it is not your favorite brand or pack size). But, I refuse to become complacent--not to mention, what happens when we get mandatory vaccinations (whether or not they work) with RFID chip requirements to verify that you have your shot as a condition before they let people stop wearing those stupid masks. (And even then they might spitefully keep the mask and "social(??)" distancing rules in place, forever, even merging them as part of the Noahide Laws of obeying your lords).

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, definitely, we're going to replenish our stocks, get a chest-freezer etc... and better organized ready for the next cycle which will be in the fall and possibly bigger / worse than what we've had so far.

No harm in being over-prepared if nothing ends up happening, you just have extra provisions and don't have to shop so often.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit