Anybody ever try the Atkins Diet?

by El Kabong 35 Replies latest jw friends

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

OK, this has probably been discussed before, but, how many here have tried the Atkins Diet? Did you have a Good/Bad experience with this diet.

The reason I ask is because I went to my Doctor and my BP is way up. She said I should also lose a few pounds. (Gave up ciggies about 2 years ago - weight went up!!)

I'd like to start the induction period of the diet, but I've heard that people should not stay on it that long because of potential organ damage. I was just wondering if it was really worth it. No bread, no pasta (that's a sacrelige to an Italian American), no beer (rolls around on the floor like Homer saying, Oh God Oh God Oh God Oh God) .

So I ask, is it really worth it?

• ballistic
    ballistic

The diet I just completed I made up myself. Why follow special pre-prepared diets? I educated myself on what is good for you, what isn't, and how many calories I was allowed a day. And I still took a night or two off on the beer each week as is our custom and lost 4 and a half stone in 6 months.

The only special made up diet I will go on is a see-food diet.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

About a week and a half ago I gave up bread and pasta. Since then I've lost 8 pounds. Still want to lose another 15-20, but I'm not complaining.

My co-worker has been on the Atkins diet for 3 weeks now and has lost 10 lbs. What she has told me is that is not as hard as she thought and her energy level is up and her appetite is down.

• rocketman
    rocketman

20/20 had something about diets some weeks ago - they had four different folks try four different diets, including Atkins, which the one guy liked. But personally, I can't see how eating some of that fatty stuff on a regular basis can be of lasting benefit.

• ballistic
    ballistic

What you have to remember is that extreme diets work because they crash water off of you in the first weeks; loosing a small amount of fat and several pounds of water. What you need to do is imagine your diet as a lifestyle change. It has to be something you could live with for the rest of your life. Like I said, I have reached my goal, but I still am still eating more or less the same as on the diet with the exception of a few treats, and am staying the same weight. Worked for me anyway. Cheers!

• DJ
    DJ

El Kabong,

I'm Italian American too and some....Irish but nevermind that...I went on Atkins 6 years ago after I had my 2nd baby. I lost weight and fast...I had great energy. I felt great and I was the weight that I was in high school but.......omg....the pasta and bread...etc. I had to go off of it..because I love carbs. The weight stayed off oddly enough, until this past year because I sit at this computer too much.>>>sigh<<< If you are not cooking for others then it would be easier but I had to cook for my husband and kids and be expected to sit there and not eat the pasta......ouch! The induction hard on the organs? I've never heard that and actually I never felt physically or emotionally better than when I was on it. It tends to keep the blood sugar from having highs and lows and that's good for us passionate Italians, if you know what I mean. No, not sexually passion.. I hope you do well..dj

• Soledad
    Soledad

the Atkins diet caused a partial damage to my kidney. I followed everything to the letter and after about 8 weeks I only lost 11 pounds in total. I regained it all back quickly. Then I was on and off it for a couple a years, but by then the damage was done. Everytime I lost weight I would only gain it back plus more. I tell you it's not worth it. It gives you stinky breath, and you have to be near a bathroom all the time. It made me constipated too.

Its very hard to eat all that fat and protein day after day week after week. you cant even drink OJ! the diet deprives you of many important nutrients such as calcium, folic acid, magnesium, most anti-oxidants, potassium, complex carbohydrates, fiber, and vitamins A & D. Sure you can buy supplements but why pay $6.00 for a vitamin c tab when you can just eat an orange or some strawberries? Oh that reminds me it's an expensive diet too! I dont know where you live but meat is not cheap where I'm from!

Be sure to thoroughly check this out before making a final decision, it may not be for you. For me I have to follow a low-sugar-high-fiber-high-willpower-more exercise diet to lose any weight. Check with your doctor for a better recommendation, especially if you have high BP, all that meat and saturated fat may not be good for you at all, atkins or no atkins.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

If you are going to do the diet...FOLLOW IT TO THE LETTER!!!

It is not for people that do diets half assed (having done many things half assed...I am an expert hahaah)

It is perfectly safe if you are careful...just remember that the induction period is not to be stayed on too long.

I tried it last year, and while I was on it it worked...but is a difficult diet to do if you have others in the house to cook for

good luck!

• El Kabong
    El Kabong
    good for us passionate Italians, if you know what I mean. No, not sexually passion..

DJ. I know exactly what you mean. Thanks for your insight.

And, Thank You to all who responded to this thread. If I decide to go onto this diet, perhaps I'll post my results, Yes?

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I've lost 11 lbs. in the first month of my diet. I am pretty much eating anything I want, however in moderation and I have started walking for exercise. I have more to go, and am determined to keep it off this time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit