How Long Does It Take To Forget?

by shamus 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• shamus
    shamus

I guess that some parts to the cultish religion are hard to shake off. Simply put, I still worry that maybe I'm wrong. (I still wouldn't want to live in a new world with those idiots, even if they were right). How long does it take to forget the nonsense? What have your experiences been? Are you still a bit intimidated by the WT's B.S. about armageddon, and how only they are going to survive?

• Simon
    Simon

I found that doing a lot of research put my mind at rest - once I had really looked into things I wasn't worried that I may have been mistaken or somehow made the wrong decision, done the wrong thing.

I think it's a 'stage' you go through - once you realise that you are right to not believe all the nonsense then you feel a lot more 'at ease'.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Go outside and yell, "Hay Jehovah! I dare you to start armageddon right now! I I double dare you!" wait five minutes, go back inside. If nothing happens go back inside and have a peacefully evening. Maybe have a beer. (I hear Rutherford's favorite was Schaefer)

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I forgot many of the key terms....until I found this site. It has all come back with a bang now. Every term....I cannot forget. Now I am more determined than ever to tell everyone who will listen how bad the dubs are.

So, based upon that and my inability to stop posting or reading here, I am going to say I will never forget.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Losing the old beliefs is a matter of research and replacement.

As long as a person does not examine their beliefs they will continue . Once research clarifies that the JWs do NOT have the truth then a person can work on replacing the beliefs with something that feels right for them.

I am not always sure about what I believe but I'm darn sure about what I don't believe

and for me that equals freedom

• shamus
    shamus

Thanks, everyone.

I really really studied hard when I first went into the borg. Currently, I have on order Crisis of Conscience, and am looking forward to reading that. I think that I just need to see how dumb things really are in the borg. Like I say, any friends that I still have are only in the religion for their families; nothing more.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Shamus, good queston and one I think all xjws go through when they leave because they realize its a cult or not true.

Please give yourself time. Maybe 6 months, maybe a year, then another year will go by and you'll never think about jw stuff unless you come to this board. Its a great feeling.

BTW, have you read Ray's books or Penton's or Jonnson's? There is some really good eveidence in those writings about the beliefs we once held dear and how true they are. Maybe that would help you.

hugs,

j2bf

• shamus
    shamus

Actually, I quit about 7 years ago. I never, ever really researched / found a website that was anti-JW. I always felt alone in the world, and the only people whom I knew about were those freaks who scream and holler at district conventions with their faces all red, SCREAMING. Bleah.

I guess that its up to me to deprogram myself from the feelings of guilt, abandoning my faith, and abandoning those idiots whom I never really gave a red rats fart over.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Are you still a bit intimidated by the WT's B.S. about armageddon, and how only they are going to survive?

Not in the slightest. I have never been so sure of anything in my life as to how sure I am about their wrongness. You will get to that stage too Lady Lee hit the nail on the head, if you confront their belief and replace it with something else there will be no room left for them.

It took me a couple of years to get over it, I still deal with the mental trip sometimes but their belief is a none issue for me now. Its just an abusive cult.

Brummie

• JH
    JH
    How long does it take to forget the nonsense

You will never forget. Never...

But, you will get over it and it won't affect you anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit