Weasel Word Phrase--The Bible Does Not Say...but

by blondie 12 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

THE BIBLE DOES NOT SAY—The weasel word phrase that bugs me the most. Note that though the WTS says this, it then proceeds to add :

After Jesus’ birth, why did Joseph and Mary remain in Bethlehem instead of returning home to Nazareth?

The Bible does not say. But it does reveal interesting details that may have affected their choice.

The Bible does not say, but here are some possible ways.

The Bible does not say. But it does reveal interesting details that may have affected their choice.

he Bible does not say why he left, but the apostle Paul evidently viewed Mark’s action as irresponsible.

But why did the holy spirit specifically direct that Barnabas and Saul be “set aside . . . for the work”? (Acts 13:2) The Bible does not say. We do know that the holy spirit directed the choosing of these men.

The Bible does not say how long it took Noah to build the ark, but it seems that he spent several decades building it.

Did Timothy become a notable speaker or an outstanding teacher? The Bible does not say. But no doubt

How many thousands had become believers? The Bible does not say, but even by the end of the first century, the number of believers must have been far fewer than 144,000.

The Bible does not say, but we have good reason to believe that the Devil would have been delighted to render Sarah unfit to bear the promised offspring.

Marking the final part of the last days will be the period that Jesus called the “great tribulation.” The Bible does not say how long that period will be, but

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    The Bible does not say

I cringe every time I hear or read that now. I also notice this one too:

"It has been observed" Thats the phrase they use when they are about to blast JWs for not doing something

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

"we can assume''

''we can can conclude''

or how about this doozy, ''we don't know for sure'', that says alot.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman
    The Bible does not say

It's funny how when it suits, the org will quote 1 Corinthians 4:6 "Do not go beyond the things that are written", and they are quick to warn against 'speculation', yet they are more than happy to frequently do it with the examples blondie mentions above (and many more).

Of course, there are circumstances where it's fine to mention some possible scenarios to stimulate thought or enquiry ("it could be x or it could be y") - we all do it in life when we're trying to work out possibilities. The hypocrisy lies in: 1) acting as though the "what ifs" you come up with are more certain than those from other people when based on the same evidence or information, and 2) judging others negatively or criticising them for doing the same thing you yourself are doing.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

And then there is this little nugget of crap courtesy of Splane, if memory serves me correctly.

"Where the Bible does not say, we remain silent."

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

Lol.

The full story:

”The Bible does not say”, but if you dare to breathe a word in contradiction to our suppositions, we’ll have 3 elders on you to disfellowship you for “causing divisions” so fast it will make your head swim.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Questioning ""could"" be causing divisions

• blondie
    blondie

Beth Sarim, that's true, the WTS has told the "flock" not to question anything the WTS even it is not quite right, just obey and of course "wait on Jehovah." But if some jws are looking for answers (of course outside WTS publications or statements) they might find comments like this by googling. Yes, going to others in the congregation or asking for an answer from the elders would get you in trouble. "All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not." Watchtower 2013 Nov 15 p.20

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

That Nov 2013 statement,,,if the Borg requests something rash,,,it's just "chilling""

But all in all,,,,I think the Borg likes to weild power and authority over it's sheeple

• Longlivetherenegades
    Longlivetherenegades

Weasel words should be an identifying mark of religion based on legalisms, assumptions and speculations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit