I'll Pray for you. What's your feelings when someone says that to you?

by El Kabong 38 Replies latest jw friends

• amac
    amac

It bugs me if it is in a condescending manner. I suggest replying with "Great! I'll pray for you too, that way we both have a fighting chance!"

• freedom96
    freedom96

I have only had someone say it to me a couple of times, but both times the people are very sincere and heartfelt. How can I knock that? Even if I was not a believer, I would not be rude and say anything negative to them about it. "Hey, thanks, I appreciate it" is all that need be said.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I always smile and say thank you.

My mother says she and everyone in the cong pray for everyone who is sick or needy. BFD (Big Fucxing Deal)! If someone is sick or poor, they need money and or emotional support...seeing them, touching them, hugging them.

My mother's words are hollow. She is convinced that someone who had cancer and went into remission was because of her prayers and not the chemo and radition.

I just hung up the phone with her. The woman that sucked her in with a bible study, Sistser V____ S___ has colon cancer. Oh, I said, that is too bad. She asked me to pray for her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF?

I told her I don't pray nor do I believe in god. She still wants me to pray. Not send a card (not that I would....no matter how *nice* she seemed, she was a viper who started our family on the path to JW destruction.), not call, just pray.

I honestly do not think the majority of people who say they *pray* for someone do it. It sounds good. They were taught to *pray* for others. I just don't think they do.

Tina

Cynical, atheist class

• Brummie
    Brummie
    If someone is sick or poor, they need money and or emotional support...seeing them, touching them, hugging them.

Never a truer word! In that context to merely say I'll pray for you is a con and a disgrace.

Brummie

• El Kabong
    El Kabong
    I honestly do not think the majority of people who say they *pray* for someone do it. It sounds good. They were taught to *pray* for others. I just don't think they do

Teeny. I agree with you. I think for the most part it's just lip service.

What bugs me the most is if I don't agree with a particular doctrine or just don't agree with religion in general, the statement, "Oh, I'll pray for you" just bugs the ever loving S@$T out of me. God already knows how I feel. What does he need you telling him for. Isn't He supposed to be all knowing?

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

with you all the way el kabong! I usually smile and say something like--ok, I will do a spell for you next full moon...thanks!

Ravyn

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Say "that's cute" and pat them on the head.

• Aztec
    Aztec

It doesn't bother me. They mean well and are trying to be kind, although, it sounds insincere and dismissive. If they like to believe they are helping who am I to rock their little world. ~Aztec

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I cannot put my finger on why it bugs me....perhaps I mistrusted the people saying it to begin with.

I am sure they (most people) are sincere in their hope you will get better/situation improve, yet I just feel that *out of sight, out of mind.*

• garybuss
    garybuss

I thank them. They are saying they are having good thoughts for me. It is a compliment unless the statement comes in a condescending manner like when the booksellers would tell me I needed a "Bible study".

Mostly I have felt complemented when a theist tells me they will pray for me. It's like me saying "Best wishes!" to you. I guess it's the context that supports or depreciates any statement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit