I'll Pray for you. What's your feelings when someone says that to you?

by El Kabong 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

In their mind, they're doing you a big favor. To me, it's insulting. In fact it's about as insulting as having someone who knows you're in the toilet walk in on purpose while you're on the throne. It is condescending and uncalled for.

But given I assume insight into their motivations, I just say thanks for the thoughtfulness and let it roll off my back like a duck.

See what I mean?

francois

• gumby
    gumby
    To me, that's saying that I am wrong and they are right, and they are praying to God that I will see things their way.

Christians believe there is power in prayer from others. The bible speaks of prayers being offered to god by congregations for fellow believers for various things. The reason a Christian offers to pray for you is based on this biblical concept.

There are certain Christians who will use this statement as a means to witness for Jesus, and these types, can be a little grating to those whose beliefs differ.

I don't think most Christians have any motive other than trying to be nice and offer help.

Gumby

• DJ
    DJ

It depends on who says it and why....for instance, my family literally yells that they will pray for me...(to become a jw, of course)... I don't want jw's praying for me because they feel that they have to do it because God doesn't hear my prayers because I'm not a jw, and they pray that I will become one....LOL... But others who are sincere have asked me if I would like them to put me on a prayer list or just pray alone. They are speaking of a specific concern that I may have expressed. I appreciate that and I have been helped.

I agree with Teenyuk about offering prayer but not giving the needs. In the bible James actually spoke about just that. He said that if you see someone in need of food or clothes and you say to the "be warm and filled....." but do not give them what they need, what good is it?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I always ask permission. When I hear a particularly tragic story, I am sympathetic. I want to help. But I do not want to sound trite or condescending. So I say instead, "Can I pray for you?". When it is approached that way, it is often received as a gift, as I intended. I am a scatterbrained flibbertygibbet, and I feel bad when I forget to pray for someone as promised. I got around that by dropping one of my inhibitions and praying on the spot. That also provides plenty of time to hug and provide other forms of tangible comfort.

I do not normaly offer prayers on the board because that would be uninvited. I usually sign with "My best thoughts are shooting your way." or something like that. Again, I do not want to offend.

Who is it, AGuest? Who always signs Peace to You or something like that. It always rubs me the wrong way somehow. I get the feeling that mantra says more about AGuest's opinion of herself than any genuine concern for others.

• Introspection
    Introspection

Well, this is a bit off topic but one of the things that come to my mind is, for most forms of prayer atleast: Isn't it pretty much like telling God what to do? Even though it's a request, you gotta wonder when it's so specific if they even consider the possibility that their perception might not be all it's cracked up to be. Of course, you can always use "not my will but yours" disclaimer, but lots of people seem to know what they want God to do for them. If a prayer is full of statements without many questions, that would be very telling.

But to get back on topic, I'm sure most of us have had that experience where someone says they'll be praying because it was their judgement that you are lost, and basically they are telling God "hey, do something about this schmuck, he's wicked and worldly and stuff" (but in a nice way with nice words, because it's God after all - assuming they actually pray) Of course, the irony here is that they are the most lost or at best equally lost as the ones they are speaking to - so my feeling tends to be one of sadness at the ignorance.

As a few have already stated in the thread, it does ultimately depend on the person's intent, of course. For example you might have a little girl who excitedly tells you that she'll pray for you simply because she likes you and actually think you're a good person, and she wants you to be blessed, prayer is simply the most logical thing to in her world view. This can even happen in the same situation with an adult that is judgemental of you, but you'd be able to see the difference. In a situation like this I wouldn't be too concerned about what the little girl has been taught, because obviously the important thing for her is the love, not any kind of judgemental attitude. Even if you've got a more sophisticated world view, it doesn't mean you're less likely to be judgemental. The same goes for this caring attitude too - there are very intelligent people who has this kind of outlook on life. A person's attitude doesn't necessarily have to do with their intelligence, perhaps it just amplifies what was already there.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Each night I pray that God will lead my kids to see the truth about "the Troof". I guess most would agree that's a good thing, but the kids wouldn't see it that way at the moment.

So, what can we say? Invariably those being prayed for will resist. That's what it's all about. If we're being prayed for, say thanks with a smile.

Cheers, Ozzie

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

Once upon a time there was this stripper that said to me while she was, uh, working, "Pray for me." I in fact had been for quite some time and lo and behold here she was right in front of me.

Who says prayers aren't answered?

• proplog2
    proplog2

Say: "When you get in touch with God could you ask him to send me some money?"

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

I suggest that they should save their breath, or

Don't waste your time praying for me.

Unappreciative, you may say. Yes, perhaps. But at least I am being honest.

cheeses - the mediator between gouda and manna

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

I would like to say: "Please, don't," but I usually say: "Thank-you."

Such a waste of effort for the prayer: "Use you mind and you will find, that nothing fails like prayer."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit