JWs Do Not Know How To Think

by xjwsrock 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

I recall a conversation I had after an International Convention. It was recently in the United States. The one where they played the Jesus drama and all that.

My wife and another sister were going on and on about the scene where the lady touched Jesus' garment. They were gushing over the emotion of the scene yada yada.

Firstly, I realized while watching this drama, more than ever before, that these Jesus stories are just that... stories. Unproven, second hand stories. But I digress...

I spoke up during their gushing episode and said: "Jesus sounds like a super hero. It sounds like a super hero's origin story." I said it as if I thought it was cool, not with a negative tone. Both of them just stared at me.

Later in the discussion. I said (again with a tone of sincerity and not sarcasm) " I wish Jesus would have written something. I mean why didn't he write something himself? You know what I mean?"

Again.. awkward pause and blank stares from both of them. I simply remained silent and allowed their response.

They could not fathom the thought. It was obviously something they have never once considered. They paused and picked up talking on a completely different topic.

My point in relating this memory... JW's literally can't think or process a thought that is outside the normal JW talking points.

• theliberator
    theliberator

I do agree that jw's can't think on there own. I noticed that many on this forum were perhaps young and never believed it was the truth. Maybe never believed the Bible, but went along with parents. Some were in, but not indoctrinated as much. Perhaps they always seen the problems and questioned them. But some like me were so indoctrinated that it is bizarre for me to think about it. It was as if someone snapped there finger and the spell was broken. My point is simple, the indoctrination is truly MIND CONTROL. It is easy to talk about them being gullible or ignorant. But unless you were thoroughly indoctrinated for many years, you (not you personally) simply do not understand that mind control is not just a phrase. It is very real. I lived it.

PS- That point about Jesus not writing something. That probably would not work with witnesses. Personally, that very point is what makes Jesus the most amazing man. Didn't write a thing, but his fame spread throughout the earth.

• Divergent
    Divergent

I DON'T AGREE that JW's can't think. The fact that there are so many waking up shows that they can! =)

The tricky part is getting them to think. The recent ARC, the Candace Conti case, and other sex abuse scandals got many thinking. I believe that almost every JW has the potential to wake up, but in order for them to do so, something has to trigger them to start thinking first

We were all triggered to think by different things. For me, it was mainly the blood issue, sex abuse scandals, and not being able to get over the fact that God will destroy billions of innocent people at Armageddon. Others are triggered by false prophecies, 587 / 607 B.C.E., 1914, 1975, overlapping generations, the Mexico / Malawi scandal, the UN scandal, injustice in the congregation, the disfellowshipping of a family member or close friend, being disfellowshipped and shunned themselves, being stumbled by Anthony Morris or other GB members, unfulfilled expectations such as Armageddon not coming, something a householder said, stumbling across something online, etc. What works for some might not work for others. Every individual is unique in their thinking!

The most important thing is NOT to give up on such ones. There have been many experiences of ex-JW's on this site who were highly indoctrinated, but eventually woke up because their spouses / friends did not give up on them. Hopefully one day, your wife might be one of these ones!

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

The mind control/indoctrination topic is an interesting one and an important one. It is real and alive and well in any conversation of substance with a JW.

What blows my mind is their complete misunderstanding and ignorance of the topic. They actually believe that a visit to an apostate website can poison your mind in a matter of minutes and yet completely miss the real mind control of the organization beating the JW talking points multiple times per week for years and years and ultimately rendering the average JW a non-questioning ideologue robot.

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

Divergent - point taken.

i remain hopeful with my wife...

• zeb
    zeb

"JW's literally can't think or process a thought that is outside the normal JW talking points. "

and if thoughts do occur they are quickly deleted.

and should you be so silly to engage this thought in conversation the standard avoidance tactics are employed, You may if insistent will be noted as a "murmurer" and tragically the one you might be talking too will display some pride in their stance of being wilfully ignorant.
  • Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

It doesn't help that JWs are specifically told not to think for themselves. Silent Lambs has compiled an impressive list of publications enforcing this sort of thought control. Here's just a few (I put the last one in red as I about fell over when I read it):

The Watchtower, September 15, 2002 Issue, Pages 16-18:

Rather than being critical, let us maintain a spiritually healthy view of the information received through personal study and congregation meetings.

The Watchtower, October 1, 2002 Issue, Page 16:

Strong faith, in turn, fortifies us to obey Jehovah, even when his requirements seem to go contrary to human reasoning.

The Watchtower, June 1, 1982 Issue, Page 20:

At times, some bring to the attention of the "slave" class various doctrinal or organizational matters that they feel ought to be revised. Certainly, suggestions for improvement are proper, as are inquiries for clarification.

The proper spirit after offering suggestions is to be content to leave the matter to the prayerful consideration of the mature brothers directing the work in Jehovah's organization. But if those making the suggestions are not content with that and continue to dispute the subject in the congregations with a view to getting others to support them, what then? That would create divisions, and could subvert the faith of some. So Paul counsels: "Keep your eye on those who cause divisions and occasions for stumbling contrary to the teaching that you have learned, and avoid them." Paul also counseled Titus to "reprove those who contradict," adding: "It is necessary to shut the mouths of these, as these very men keep on subverting entire households by teaching things they ought not.... For this very cause keep on reproving them with severity." -Romans 16:17, 18; Titus 1:9-13.

The Watchtower, August 1, 1967 Issue, Pages 469-470:

It is true that some points are difficult to grasp at first, but instead of complaining or arguing about them.... it may be better to leave it alone for a while, waiting further clarification....

....we must avoid complaining even about small things....

The Watchtower, June 1, 1985 Issue, Page 20:

Although walking with confidence in Jehovah's leadership may not be easy at times...To turn away from Jehovah and his organization, to spurn the direction of the 'faithful and discreet slave,' and to rely simply on personal Bible reading and interpretation is to become like a solitary tree in a parched land.

The Watchtower, January 15, 1983 Issue, Page 22:

Avoid Independent Thinking

Avoid.... questioning the counsel that is provided by God's visible organization.

How is such independent thinking manifested? A common way is by questioning the counsel that is provided by God's visible organization.

The Watchtower, January 15, 1983 Issue, Page 27:

....some who point out that the organization has had to make some adjustments before, and so they argue: "This shows that we have to make up our own mind on what to believe." This is independent thinking. Why is it so dangerous?

Fight against independent thinking.

The Watchtower, March 15, 1986 Issue, Page 17:

Beware of those who try to put forward their own contrary opinions.

The Watchtower, July 1, 1994 Issue, Pages 12-13:

As loyal servants of Jehovah, why would we even want to peek at the propaganda put out by rejecters of Jehovah's table....

The Watchtower, August 1, 1960 Issue, Page 474:

Jehovah's witnesses, though international, are 'one heart and soul,' of the 'same mind' and the 'same line of though.'

The Watchtower, June 1, 1967 Issue, Page 338:

....in Jehovah's organization it is not necessary to spend a lot of time and energy in research, for there are brothers in the organization who are assigned to that very thing....

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Yep. You were taking them into the danger zone, rational thought.

That blank stare was their minds slamming on the brakes and going into reverse. Trying to get back to the purely emotional way of thinking.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Marked
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Sometimes simple comments like those said in the opening post are enough to make someone stop and think.

For example. I had an elder (who I found out was awake to TTATT himself) simply say one day : I wonder how the animals got from the ark to Australia?"

And another day he said "I heard that we fly national flags in some countries"

Well that was enough to make me curious to start researching....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit