Zoom meetings

by molybdenum 17 Replies latest social humour

• molybdenum
    molybdenum

Being PIMO I attend the meetings regularly over zoom.
    ( I have to as my wife is a dyed -in - the wool, and stick-in-the mud pioneer witness. I have no possibility of leaving as it would create havoc in my life and at 68 years of age I just don't want the hassle of having to cope with the ramifications of disassociating myself. I know, I am a spineless coward and should have the courage of my convictions, but I can live with it)
    In my congregation the members are all pretty good at being on zoom and the result is that the meetings are pretty predictable and boring.
    I am constantly hoping for some break in the monotony by someone doing something unexpected but nothing much really happens to lighten the mood.
    The only thing that was mildly interesting recently was that a slightly elderly member had the password as his name by mistake. He was confused as to why he was being referred to by that. However, he was soon told and it was corrected, and that ended any interest I had in the meeting.
    How about where you are? Have you witnessed any interesting "zoom failures" while attending a meeting or any comment about the zoom meetings that you might have.
    Just need a bit of a laugh.

I will be 69 next month ( Feb) and having been a witness most of my life I of course have had to celebrate my birthday privately since becoming PIMO ( about 10 years ago). I'm thinking of splashing out on a 30 inch monitor to replace my 10 year old 23 inch as a gift to myself. Eyesight is getting worse so a bigger screen might be a good idea.
    Any advice on that?

Sorry about two subjects in one. Hope I posted in the right place too. Please put me right if I have made any errors on posting this. Thanks

• Hopeless1
    Hopeless1

Hey Molybdenum, my birthday is next month too! What date? I’ll send you an e-birthday card.

( I am in my early 70’s, not a born in, attending meetings since 1961, but not anymore)

Husband nearly born in now in his mid-eighties, and attends all zoom meetings, but complains a lot. Won’t be PIMO because he wants to see his mum in paradise.

I have not been attending meetings regularly for about 5 years, made poor health a good excuse without attracting attention to fact I was waking up.

Now you couldn’t get me to a meeting ever again, zoom meetings included. Think will get visit from elders when lock down over, or there again, maybe not. Elders here are very lax. Will only pursue you if they want you gone for good.

How on earth do you cope? Once they open their mouths and start their spiel I just feel gut-churning frustration, anger, etc, ruins my whole day... grrrr

As for zoom failures, at the start especially there were things such as people eating crisps, doing their hair, inappropriate positioning of camera, carrying on private conversations, whispering and so on. Happily none of the elderly on their commode though, - but now, apparently zoom only shows face of the one commenting or conducting meeting.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I too am a spineless coward, same situation. I seldom " dress appropriately" and stay off camera as much as possible. Open the meeting, then can peruse other sights. Sometimes look up misused/pronounced words or fact check. Sometimes I rest my eyes. The chatter before reminds me of an insane asylum. More each meeting seem to have no picture on. Using a laptop there is little detail but I look at decorations. So far no xmas trees or pics of MLK or flags but you never know. I really want to set up in the den and have a gun hanging on the wall.

The bday is no big deal for me, I just have to check for expirations

• IWant2Leave
  • Biahi
    Biahi

So sorry, Moly, that you have to waste time on that 💩. Happy Birthday, though!

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

will be 69 next month ( Feb) and having been a witness most of my life I of course have had to celebrate my birthday privately since becoming PIMO ( about 10 years ago). I'm thinking of splashing out on a 30 inch monitor to replace my 10 year old 23 inch as a gift to myself. Eyesight is getting worse so a bigger screen might be a good idea. Any advice on that?

Happy birthday Moly. I would get a bigger monitor than a 30 inch. My computer screen is a 36 in and my eyesight is perfect. I'm still in my early 30s. but hey who cares, buy what makes you happy.

I wouldn't consider you a spinless coward, you're going to be 69 and you made a decision that you feel will get you the most out of life. It's not like some God out there is expecting you to leave the WT. And you leaving the WT would not make a bit of difference to the Organization.

You know what they say about life.

Dying in your thirties or forties? “Tragic.”

Fifties? “Such a shame.”

Sixties? “Too soon.”

Seventies? “A good run.”

Eighties? “A life well lived.”

Nineties? “One Hell of a ride.”

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

A JW family member showed me a video of and elderly Sister who was listening to a Zoom meeting and she walked by the camera in a nightgown and slurping on a glass of red wine.

I said "That must be why they call her Sister Weinstien" LOL!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

so what happens if congregation members dont connect to zoom ?

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Eyesight is getting worse so a bigger screen might be a good idea.

Bigger screen doesn't mean sharper and clearer text or images.

Look at a monitor with a 4k resolution and low pixel pitch number for sharper text

like this one

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-27-4k-usb-c-monitor-p2721q/apd/210-axlt/monitors-monitor-accessories

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MOLYBDENUM:

If you were single, though, you could have done a ‘Fade’ like I did years ago!

But, you are married and don’t need the drama at your age! I don’t consider you a ‘spineless coward’. As long as you are not actively trying to bring people into the religion, though. I couldn’t do that and live with myself!

As far as your birthday coming up in February, that makes you an Aquarius I think. Happy upcoming birthday! Just keep your head low and don’t rock the boat in your home. If your spouse wants to stay in the religion, let them.

I am convinced that a great many people who identify as being Witnesses are really Physically In and Mentally Out. I suspect most of these people are older. This is bad news for the religion because when these older people are gone..that’s it. No way do I believe the JW religion will survive for long!

Meanwhile, you just want peace and quiet. Regards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit