What's Wrong With Mother's Day? I Forgot.

by Swan 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Swan
    Swan

Okay, maybe I'm getting old or maybe it's because I have been an exJW for going on 10 years now, but I can't remember what's up with JWs and Mother's Day. I remember my mother going with another sister to my brother's classroom for some Mother's Day pageant back in the 60's when we lived in Alaska. There is also a commandment in the Bible about "honor your father and your mother."

So why don't they celebrate Mother's Day? Or do they? Was it just a regional thing not to celebrate? Was there any official Wt prohibition on Mother's Day? I just can't remember all of the silly rules any more; but maybe that's a good thing.

Tammy

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Hey Tammy,

I forgot too, but doesn't it have to do with giving attention to someone other than Watchtower God?

lol, such silly regulations.

Enjoy mother's day and do what you want, I'm sure your mother will be tickled to get any attention. You know we all do down deep!

Hugs,

j2bf

edited because of course I misspelled a word and it made a BIG difference. sorry

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

Probably falls under the category of Creature Worship. It's pagan, like everything else.

There's only ONE mommy JW's are allowed to worship and she lives in Brooklyn.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I think it had pagan origins, and therefore it is Demonic (tm).

Until the next Watchtower comes out saying it's okay in which case all the old arguments will vanish and no one will ever speak of them again.

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

It's to do with the "Church" being "mother", isn't it?

Oh yeah, and all of the above.

Spanner

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

Mother's Day is one of the few without pagan origins. It was developed in the early 20th century. However, It detracts attention from God so therefore should be avoided. However, when the CO arrives, it's okay to honour him by rearranging your whole schedule, or being honoured to have him over for supper. But not poor old mom!

Stan

• rocketman
    rocketman

I always thought it was because there were possible links to Mother - Goddess worship.

*Can't seem to recall last time I worshipped my mom*

• shamus
    shamus

Poor mom-

Single mom who raised us two kids the best she could, and I choose not to even say "Happy Mothers Day" to her. Shame on me.

How dare we honor our mothers? LOL, about the circuit overseer. How about those Friday Night bookstudy's? FUN! How about the announcement "The circiut overseer has some openings to be invited over for supper....". LOL. The life of a C.O. must be terrible.

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

The origins of Mothers Day can be traced to ancient Greece. Mothers Day was celebrated by the ancient Greeks to honor Rhea, the mother of the gods. Ancient Romans honored their great mother of gods, Cybele.

And here I was thinking that I was just honoring my mom. Silly me. I should've known that there was more to it than that. Oh, thank you mighty Watchtower for showing me the error of my ways

Sadie

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Actually, I think it might have something to do with possible ties to the Catholic Feast of the Immaculate Conception, which in most Latin Countries is celebrated as Mother's Day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit