Why didn't Jehovah know the flood wouldn't work?

by OverlappingGeneralizations 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OverlappingGeneralizations
    OverlappingGeneralizations

This has been something that is bugging me lately-

Jehovah is all knowing. He knows that to do away with evil, he has to do away with satan. So why did he wipe away all the bad people with the flood and leave satan alive? He had to know that wouldn't make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

Additionally, confining satan to the earth in 1914 supposedly marked the a great increase in wars and overall evil. But, if we already posses inherited sin from Adam and Eve, what more evil could satan really do just by being here?

Just feeling philosophical again...

• Simon
    Simon

He specializes in punishing the innocent and allowing the evil to continue their reign.

It's the only way that "god" makes sense as an explanation ... otherwise people would point to the evil that exists and say "erm ... if he did away with it then that story is BS"

It's still BS but it fools a few people.

• Simon Templar
    Simon Templar
    I think that his objective was the short term only and that it is an example of what he can/will do (if I remember the application correctly). Take it from there.
  • westiebilly11
    westiebilly11
    How many angels became demons? How many left in 'heaven'? Has God created any more angels to replace those fallen ones?..... Satan and associated subjects bug me....I can never understand how satan was allowed to cross the line from spirit to inhabiting a snake... just thinking..!...
  • Simon
    Simon

This is a "god" that a few chapters later (or was it earlier?) thought that man could build a tower up to heaven (yeah ... made of stone ... into space ...) and so he confused languages and caused national divisions (again, what happened to the "fair process"?)

God is a god damn idiot.

I know, right? "Sacre Bleu! Suddenly I speak French! I guess I will walk to France and colonize it for myself! If there is anyone already established there, God will kill them all for me so I can have 'the good land'!"
  • prologos
    prologos
    Obviously he deals with one irritant at a time, inter-creation sex? what is scary is the intended co-lateral damage, even Everest was flooded to make sure all animals died. Next time he promises to use fire. and asbestos has been found to cause cancer. The only way out is the KH.
    That's what I mean- you'd think if he went through the trouble of killing everything and everyone, he'd take the extra step and go ahead and kill satan while he was at it.
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

That is a great question. I think, in my personal opinion, that since most religions, including JWs, have redefined faith as blind obedience, it lends to this type of contradictions.

The bible tells us of the several occasions in which God had it with humanity and was ready to wipe them all out. Not just at the flood, also during Moises' time. Moises, however, appeased him. He told God that his fame as a loving, redeeming God would be ruined in the eyes of humanity if he killed the Israelites after he miraculously freed them from Egypt. This, in my view, has little to do with being an all knowing God. Is more about faith. In my view, faith is like a modern day credit report. When you go to a bank to take a loan, your approval would be based on your history. Basically the bank would demonstrate faith in your responsibility as a borrower. Provided we are talking about a personal loan with no collateral. When it comes to spirituality, never in the bible it speaks of blind faith. Most of the faith shown by the people of the bible comes from a- past experiences in which God fulfilled his promises and b- based on demanding that God showed them some sort of miracle so that they would believe in his power.

With that said, and based on what I understand from the bible, God would have to have reasons to have faith in humanity. When he has lost it, he attempted to start over, always leaving a handful of humans around to see his power and redemption from evil. This, in my view, would not necessarily be bad. If humans are made to his image and humans are capable of losing faith, then God is very much capable of the same thing. You could, may be, say that the difference is that we humans can loose faith for the wrong reasons while God losses it for the right reasons. I would leave that up as something to be speculated upon, since we have this idea implanted on us that the word "perfect" is literal as it appears in the bible when referring to God.

• prologos
    prologos
    kill satan while he was at it. That would spoil the fun, The Devil is the stalking horse that raises the victims he can take water/fire pot shots at. using cluster bombs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit