Is the ministry really taken seriously by most JWs?

by XBEHERE 32 Replies latest jw friends

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

I’m still physically in so I stil go to the min groups in person

I still enjoy the association and the coffee breaks and one sister always has us all back for tea and cakes

i usually find a way of not doing much if any first call and only pretend to press the bell then take a long long time on the door then make excuses to go and check something with someone who I take a long time to find

im not alone in this behaviour

it used to take six months to get the territory done now it will be more like 6 years

• Biahi
    Biahi

Keep up the good work, ex Bethelite!👍🏻🤭

• Gorb
    Gorb

The only aspected i liiked was being with my father and grandfather having good times in field service.

Long travel with the car having good conversations

But, never happy with placing magazines and the message.

I remember 2008, on easter sunday, told my wife while doing FS, "this is my last door, i'm finished with it".

Never on the road since then, feeling better then ever!!!

G.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

How can this be taken seriously? (Barcelona)

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

As I said before, I do think the cart witnessing itself was not a bad idea, but the way the org has implemented it is totally ineffective, telling publishers not to engage passers-by unless they are first approached.

When it was first introduced (here in Europe at least), publishers could offer literature held in their hands, and could engage passers-by in conversation. That seems much more appealing (to those who might be interested, of course) and more potentially effective. Every single street preacher or vendor offering anything in public will approach people, rather than just passively stand around.

However, the org soon changed the 'direction' on how to do this, and now it is much less effective. Supposedly, they did not want the witnesses to seem like just free paper distributors or those intrusive charity volunteers you get on the streets (they're often known as "chuggers" here in the UK - short for "charity muggers" due to their persistent attempts to approach people asking for donations). Although I can see the point of that, they could've just introduce more careful guidance about how to do it. Instead, they basically told witnesses to stop holding literature and not to approach people.

I think there was an ulterior motive. During the months when the original way of doing things was in place, I know congregations were placing far more magazines than they did before the carts were introduced (I mean hundreds more), and many were enjoying conversations. I suspect the org heard about this from branches and got worried about the cost of printing additional copies to cover the demand. It usually comes down to money in the end. If they were really interested in "spreading the good news", then surely they should be pleased about that? They're always quoting scriptures about "liberally sowing seeds because you don't know where they will grow", etc. Even if many copies were discarded, the point is supposed to be about "reaching people".

Instead, they issued orders to make the trolley work far more passive and, as usual, killed what little 'joy' publishers might experience in their ministry. Now it's exactly as you see in that picture: standing around looking bored, hands in pockets or just chatting with the other witnesses around (or staring at their phone). Also, those ones in Barcelona are doing what most witnesses do now which puts people off approaching - all crowded too close to the carts. Even if someone were interested, they would probably be put off by this line of 'cart bodyguards' staring at them as they walk up.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i'm surprised the society org didnt make field service a male only activity--and a privilege to be earned at that.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

If we are honest a lot of people have very dull lives.

getting together with a group of friends for a good old natter, yea and cakes, lots of coffee breaks

the min is just an excuse for it all

nobody takes it seriously at all. That’s not the reason for going out it’s the getting together for association

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

ExBethelitenowPiMA ,"people have very dull lives"--I agree that many who are retired are in it for something to do socially with their friends.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

you just see them fiddling with their mobile devices. and talking about people.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA
    enoughisenough2 hours ago

ExBethelitenowPiMA ,"people have very dull lives"--I agree that many who are retired are in it for something to do socially with their friends

/

you hit the mail on the head.

especially older ones get far more out of the org than they put in. The elders in many congs have a list of older ones and anything they need. They get lifts for meetings and ministry and any assembly or conventions.

they always get help whenever there is a need and they get visits regularly when they would have been lonely

that is my advice for anyone who is staying physically in, work on getting more out of it than you put into it.

and we have some really good friends who are physically in and we may suspect each other of being mentally agnostic but it goes unspoken

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit