Stupid armageddon false alarms

by purrpurr 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Ok, it is easy for us to sit online and dismiss the heartfelt hopes and fears of others. We have made the leap and escaped the WT way of thinking. So why do they still believe it?.... Let's be honest, WE believed it..

The point is that the WTS does a marvellous job at blurring the line between the Org. .and God himself. If they say it, it is " spirit directed" and who wants to argue with Holy Spirit?

Being a JW means that you suspend critical thinking after baptism. You have answered the 80 questions , committed yourself and that is it. If nothing happens to shake you enough to think the unthinkable........that's where you stay......

It is like Nationalism, blind allegiance to a football club or any other mindless following

The Witnesses are not the only group to have it....

• jws
    jws

I remember talk of Reagan being involved. That he would instigate nuclear war but God had to intervene before that. So it was gonna happen soon. Also that Ronald Wilson Reagan had 6 letters in each part of his name. ie. 666. So he must be the antichrist. So it was definitely the time of the end. 30 years later, not so much.

And 1984 was supposed to be declared the year of peace by the UN and the JWs were all excited because that was supposed to be the cry of "peace, peace, when there is no peace" related to end-times.

And I remember people flocking back to Kingdom Halls after 9/11 because surely that meant the end was near. 18 years ago. Yep, any day now.

But I only come here occasionally, so I don't know about each and every thing.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I have long suspected that most of these false-alarm expectations are due to many still-ins hoping and praying for The End simply because by now, they're so damn tired and depressed from a lifetime of simply being Jehovah's Witnesses, and mistakenly think that the Big A will (somehow) finally free them.

Know how I know?

'Cause that was me.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

In fact, it was realizing that the Org planned to run the show after "Armageddon" that, in retrospect, significantly helped my fade...

...I was still in when I put it together, and when it hit me, I actually felt sick to my stomach.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit