Stupid armageddon false alarms

by purrpurr 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

When I was 5/6 I remember being in the car with my jw mom and a jw sister. They noticed a yellow ish glowing cloud in the sky which really freaked them out and they both declared that it must be a sign that armageddon was here! They then spent the whole car trip declaring that the police and army were about to come and round up all of us. I was terrified.

Does anyone have any stories about crazy jw false alarms?

• hoser
    hoser

People like our parents have bought in to a belief system and need validation. That happened in my family too. I don’t think it is mentally healthy for children and probably causes future anxiety issues .

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

The 80s with potential nuke war.

The 1st gulf war.

9/11

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

(Bookmarking)

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Yes, my mom said that several times when there was a thunderstorm.

Imagine being afraid of a thunderstorm, like a 3-year-old.

• sir82
    sir82

"I'm certain Ronald Reagan is the president that will usher in Armageddon".

Spoken to me nearly 40 years ago.

• Biahi
    Biahi

They say that every time a new president is elected, to be fair, Christians that I know say this whenever a democrat is in office. Lol

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

The evil thing this cult does by perpetuating this 'God will save you soon' teaching is preventing people from trying to solve their own problems.

• Ding
    Ding

On another thread, I listed a compendium of WT Armageddon-is-almost-here quotes going back over 100 years.

Of course, most JWs are unaware of all that.

Even if they learned about it, most of them would say, "The GB doesn't claim to be infallible or perfect."

JWs remind me of Charlie Brown. They're SURE this time Lucy won't pull the football away from them at the last second.

It's one thing to get conned and buy the Brooklyn bridge.

It's quite another to buy the Brooklyn bridge from the same guy 20 times, each time being sure it's the real deal.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DING:

Good points about that Brooklyn Bridge!

But, in all honesty, the JW religion has cried ‘wolf’ too many times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit