Rank & File Reaction to Leah Remini Series

by freemindfade 19 Replies latest social entertainment

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Wife and I have watched the whole series and just finished episode 7 last night. Personally, I am seeing a great deal more subtle and day to day similarities to Watchtower than the obvious ones I already knew existed, ie shunning. Very eye opening and heartbreaking, even more so than Going Clear in my mind

Has anyone experienced any first-hand reaction from active ("in") witnesses who are watching or aware of the series? Do they deny similarities? Do they acknowledge but deflect that it changes anything about "The Truth"? Or do they become Scientology apologists in order to avoid CD? What have you seen or heard? I am very curious.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

My wife and I watched the movie "Going Clear" on HBO (I believe it is now available on Nextflix). It is a 2 hour documentary on Scientology. After watching it we looked at each other and said, "This is just like the Witnesses."

• Simon
    Simon

In my experience, witnesses rarely watched anything about cults and even when they did, they mentally blocked out any similarities.

While we look for those similarities, they look for the differences.

But for those who see them, I think the realization that the WTS isn't unique and that other groups do the same sort of things for obviously 'control' reasons is a very powerful convincing piece of information.

Sadly, most don't - they need some trigger or personal reason to start looking with an open mind.

• NikL
    NikL

My wife (who is a very in witness) and I have enjoyed the whole series as well.

She doesn't see the similarities at all as far as I can tell and I don't push her on the issue.

I am realizing more and more that the cult is too much for me. I can't help her wake up. It's all up to her. Hopefully things like this TV series will help down the road.

• flipper
    flipper

Good thread my friend. My wife and I have watched every episode as well- I think it's excellent too and agree with you that it's even more effective than " Going Clear " was in that it gets even deeper into how Scientology rips apart families by disclosing this through personal interviews with Scientology victims- some who were not even high up in the church or well known- but like the recent episode the young man who was smeared was a worker for the church whom the church ruined his life by refusing him psychiatric help- then he got thrown into prison. Nice folks ? Not.

The emotion laden first hand stories by these people who were abused at ALL levels of the church- seeing their tears , hearing their pain, and then crying along with them as I watch it- brings back all kinds of inner pain for me as well realizing my older JW family in the JW cult has treated me similarly through the years by essentially cutting me off. Yet in a strange way - it's been a healing for me as well because it makes me more determined to draw closer to my nieces and nephews who have exited the JW cult and helps me realize more clearly who on this god forsaken planet really loves me. Been questioning that a lot in my own mind since my own mom's death.

That being said - in answer to your opening thread- I believe that JW's who are sitting on the fence who have doubts - the JW's that are kind of in it, but kind of not in it - Leah Remini and Mike Rinders expose' of Scientology will do a lot of good for these kind of folks. These kind of JW's are already opening their minds and some I've talked to refuse to shun their relatives who aren't JW's. The show will help THAT kind of person who is having doubts already.

But JW's like my older devout JW family- I seriously doubt it - they are so deeply steeped in the JW cult that they can't see straight . I might just try to bring it up to one of them out of sheer morbid curiosity to see what they'll say- and I'll get back to you on this thread. Thanks for posting this, great thread. Take care bud, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Typical JWS reaction ...... oh look at that cult full of pretentious hype, propaganda and lies, its so reassuring we have the truth and Jehovah will destroy that worldly organization soon.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I agree with NikL. JW will see subtle differences as proof that they're not in a cult. For example, scientologists follow a leader while JWs are guided by a governing body...scientology is based on the writings of a man while JWs follow the bible (as if that book wasn't written by men). On the other hand they cannot see that the same kind of control is exercised by both cults such as not being allowed to question the doctrine, holding family members as hostages with the threat of disconection or the lifetime commitment to the cult.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

To me, the most powerful similarities are the subtle ones. Like members are generally well intentioned and want the best for mankind, and feel it's up to them and their group. That there are some good things gained by being in (the cult). Especially early on. It's the way they keep themselves in that makes the biggest case. Often the impression of a cult member is a suicidal anti-social zombie, but Leah has shown that many like herself were sincere, not looking to perpetuate the negative aspects of cult life. I think this makes it more palatable as similar.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I have not recommended it to anyone (yet) but I think they would become EXTREMELY uncomfortable with the topic of shunning family members.

Not only does it hit close to home, but for every person who has appeared on the show, it is the single most damaging aspect of the cult.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    but for every person who has appeared on the show, it is the single most damaging aspect of the cult.

Yep, for many JW/Scientology-similarity apologists the fact that Miscavige actually physically hit people makes Scientology much worse. To that I would say if you asked all those people he hit which were more painful and left worse scars I have no doubt they would all say the physical pain and humiliation of the physical altercation was nothing compared to the deep emotional and psychological pain of being demonised as a criminal and shunned by all your loved ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit