The Memorial and my thoughts.

by Truth and Justice 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Truth and Justice
    Truth and Justice

No matter what opinions you may have, the Memorial is very important to us. Many are opposed to the way the organization performs the Memorial because of restrictive rules as to who should partake. As Jesus said in scripture, "Keep doing this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." (1 Cor 11: 25) So, it is a command that Christ gave. And the disturbing part is what is said in the outline of the Memorial talk, (if its still in the Outline, because I haven't been to a Hall in years), where they read the following verses 27-30 to make you think twice as to partaking, where it says "whoever eats the loaf and drinks the cup of the lord unworthily will be guilty respecting the body and the blood of the Lord," it goes on to talk about scrutinizing oneself,........"and many among you are weak and sickly, and quite a few are sleeping in death."

It is always good to scrutinize ourselves, and make sure that we do not celebrate the event in an unworthy way. But in the organization's thinking which has always been, those who partake should be those in the congregation with a good standing like good meeting attendance, going out in service, (which has been minimized now), Reg and special pioneers, the elites and GB, and those who work with them. And yet that was not who Jesus was referring to, the scripture speaks to us individually. It is a matter for each individual whether it is Paradise on earth life or the Heavenly life. There was NO differentiation between the two, HE said in scripture "Keep doing this in remembrance of me.

I had remembered one time when I use to attend Memorials, that it always seem to be an inquisitive thing to look around and see who was partaking, it was a curiosity for many. But it would go beyond that, as I remember individuals saying "Did you see that? Sister Weak partook last night, and she only puts in an average of 8 hours a month in service, plus she doesn't answer up at the meetings. I put in more hours than her every month." I have actually heard that. Thru out the time I had attended Memorials, I always heard certain ones critizing those who felt that their conscience and their relationship with God told them that they should partake.

WHO ARE THEY TO TELL GOD THAT A CERTAIN BROTHER OR SISTER IS NOT WORTHY OF PARTAKING?

My Mother and I are having a private Memorial at home in reading the scriptures about his death and things pertaining to this special event. Its all up to us what we decide to do. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Ray Franz wrote in his 4th book that he knew of many that had a private Memorial at their home. Many of them had a different view than the society, where many felt that their conscience could not go along with something that they felt was not being celebrated by the scripture. On a side note, I wonder how the witnesses will be dressed tonight, considering the new dress change.

Remember, its up to you what you decide, not them.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

👍

Many thanks for your thoughts Truth And Justice.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

T & J Do you think the org will change it's stance as to only "anointed" ones partaking? In fact, they view the whole Bible as being written for Christa brothers ie not most JWs.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Do look at John 6 and make your own conclusions. There Jesus spoke to the crowd. Some were stumbled at his words and left. Note what he said:

"53 Accordingly Jesus said to them, Most truly I say to YOU, Unless YOU eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, YOU have no life in yourselves.

54 He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life, and I shall resurrect him at the last day;

55 for my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.

56 He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood remains in union with me, and I in union with him.

(John 6:53-56 NWT)

What is the context? "He was, in fact, speaking of Judas [the son] of Simon Iscariot; for this one was going to betray him, although one of the twelve." (John 6:71 NWT)

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

drinking blood eh ?

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Do you think the org will change its stance as to only "anointed" ones partaking?

If they are serious about going mainstream, they will have to do this. I think though that there is a way to maintain the two classes doctrines whilst doing this. And of course they will expressly forbid worldly, inactive and spiritually weak people from partaking.

It’s really a no-brainer at this point. People who have been told it was forbidden for a long time will be excited to partake, will feel closer to God and thank the organisation for it.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    People...will be excited to partake, will feel closer to God and thank the organisation for it.

Of the 8 million JWs, 4 million will be excited & partake...the remainder 4 million will get fed-up with the changes & walk away from the cult.

Allowing rank & file to partake of the emblems would be a very costly gamble!

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I think they might now allow birthdays, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Thanksgiving to become conscience matters since there was very little justification for them anyhow.

They won't allow Christmas or Easter because they can still call them pagan and old timers would lose their minds. They might, however, say that it is a conscience matter to attend those celebrations at unbelieving relatives' homes.

I don't think they can move much on blood, even though it might seem obvious, because they've stuck their nose in people's Medical Powers of Attorney and have an entire Hospital Liason program and too many lawsuits that they've won to back out now. Also, I think they'd be terrified of all the unlawful death lawsuits they would be fighting off. Follow the money. This is one change that is too expensive. Sad because it's one of their most egregious beliefs.

I think they will continue to ignore 1914 and it won't appear in any literature again. A lot of people have appeared to forget about it anyway. Just more of "soon, soon, soon."

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

What they really need to do, other than blood, to really get themselves out of hot water is to dump the disfellowshipping "arrangement." This mess that they've just updated is nonsensical and doubling down in many respects.

So, the two things they really need to do I don't see them doing.

Their surface reforms might keep PIMOs in a little longer, but won't bring people back. It also won't bring in newbies entirely. For the most part people don't want to "buy" religion at all anymore.

A sad death of attrition is what it's looking like.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    LmsAIf they are serious about going mainstream, they will have to do this.
    It’s really a no-brainer at this point. People who have been told it was forbidden for a long time will be excited to partake, will feel closer to God and thank the organisation for it.

I agree. In fact I think they see how many Witnesses leave because they initially at least start to question this in the back of their minds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit