What novels have you been reading recently? Recommend any?

by LoveUniHateExams 38 Replies latest social entertainment

• scary21
    scary21

I love true crime. My favorite is Ann Rule. She passed so I'm bummed, no more Ann Rule books.

I also love history so I read a lot of that genre.

So no surprise, one of my top books of all time is Devil in the white city by Erik Larson. Horror,true crime.and history all rolled into a great book. ( I've read two other books by him (history) both good.

The scariest book I have ever read is The great and secret show by Clive Barker. Weave world by him is good too.

John Saul and Dean Koontz I like better than Stephen King but I haven't read everything by him so It's just MO so far,

A book that I love love love is Water for Elephants by Sera Gruen.....The movie sucked!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

"Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson - thanks bohm.

then you must get and read Imajica by Clive Barker - thx OC.

Dean Koontz and Clive Barker ring a few bells, I'll check them out.

"The Stand" by Stephen King - I haven't seen this in any book shops. I have seen 'IT' by the same author, and I'm thinking of getting it.

• Awake at last
    Awake at last

The Dome and Pet Sematary by Stephen King, in fact anything by SK.

Patricia Cornwall forensic pathology books.

Lee Child's Jack Reacher books.

Wm Paul Young, The Shack if you are into Christian books.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Coma by Robin Cook if you like dark thrillers. At the moment I'm reading the Vera novels by Ann Cleeves about the detective inspector in Northumberland that's been onTV. Very well written. I don't usually like crime novels but the characterisation is brilliant.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the first book in the Millennium trilogy by Steig Larsson absolutely superb. Such a shame the author died early, three published master works and then curtains. Best female protagonist in literature IMHO.

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

All 3 Steig Larsson dragon tattoo books are great.

For Thrillers I also love Harlan Coben and Linwood Barclay, both write unputdownable thrillers.

I'm reading The Girl on the Train right now, good yarn!

I find its a great way to de-stress and unwind, reading a good novel.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"This year I've bought and read Frankenstein (Mary Shelly), Dracula (Bram Stoker), The Hound of the Baskervilles (A. Conan Doyle), 'Salem's Lot (Stephen King), Jurassic Park (Michael Crichton) and The Firm (John Grisham)."

I recently obtained several classic novels and a book rack from a moving sale. I set up the book rack and books. My wife saw that one of the books is Stoker's Dracula and she got upset and said that she is uncomfortable with it because he drinks blood. It just makes me mad that she let's the cult influence her. Things like this have made our marriage fail.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

My wife saw that one of the books is Stoker's Dracula and she got upset and said that she is uncomfortable with it because he drinks blood - She knows it's only fiction, right?

Dracula is quite a good novel - especially the first 4 chapters which are Jonathan Harker's diary. For me, the way Stoker describes Harker's journey east to the count's castle sets the scene well and builds the atmosphere.

Keep reading Rattigan.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Bit of an update: I bought several books this past month or two: The Silence of the Lambs (Thomas Harris), A Time to Kill (John Grisham) and It (Stephen King).

A Time to Kill was pretty good, pretty good for a first novel.

The Silence of the Lambs was excellent, like the film adaptation.

I'm currently about 100 or so pages in with 'It'. I didn't particularly like it straight away but it's definitely growing on me ...

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, I love the Stand, also rewatch the tv miniseries about every 3 years (King).

But I don't leave out sci-fi fantasy....Piers Anthony....re-reading his currently 40 plus books from the beginning again.

Any books that have a happy ending for humanity?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit