What novels have you been reading recently? Recommend any?

by LoveUniHateExams 38 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I've always been a bit of a reader - but only reading about topics I find interesting, e.g. natural history, dinosaurs, etc.

Recently I've started to select, buy and read novels.

This year I've bought and read Frankenstein (Mary Shelly), Dracula (Bram Stoker), The Hound of the Baskervilles (A. Conan Doyle), 'Salem's Lot (Stephen King), Jurassic Park (Michael Crichton) and The Firm (John Grisham).

I have an inclination towards horrors and thrillers.

What fiction have you been reading?

Could you recommend anything?

• millie210
    millie210

I recently finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.

Michael Crichton has several good books as does Stephan King.

Have you read any Dean Koontz? If you like King, you may like him.

• bohm
    bohm

"Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson. If you have a lot of time there is also "The baroque cycle" also by N. Stephenson.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    LoveUni: I have an inclination towards horrors and thrillers

Ah...then you must get and read Imajica by Clive Barker. I have lost track of the number of times I have read the book and I wouldn't hesitate to read it again. Haha! I had never heard of Clive Barker (seriously) before I read Imajica and after the third reading, I looked the book up and found out that it was considered to be horror genre.

Another novel that I have read more than once is Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann. The novel is set in New York City at the time that the Trade Towers were being built. Excellent story telling and all inspired by a single photograph taken of a man tightrope walking between the unfinished towers.

This next novel is not for the faint of heart - The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson. It took me a long time to get through this novel - it is brutal and absolutely mind shattering. The novel is set in North Korea. A very difficult read but excellently told.

I am currently reading a book - not really a novel - called The Underground Girls of Kabul: In Search of a Hidden Resistance in Afghanistan by Jenny Nordberg. A fascinating look inside Afghan culture and how some girls are raised as boys until they are of child bearing age.

Have fun reading, LoveUni...if you get bored with the fictional life of a novel, you can always revert to accounts of true crime.

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

I am reading a very interesting ebook written by Harlan J. Hunter. It is called "The Son of a Gun Has a Frog In His Throat."

Sour Grapes

• Giordano
    Giordano

The Blade Itself........ book one of Joe Abercromie's The First Law.

It opens with a furious running battle that hooks the reader from the get go.

reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Blade-Itself-First-Law/dp/0316387312/ref=cm_rdp_product

• JeffT
    JeffT

I recently read "The Hunger Games." Good book, although I have not gotten to the sequels yet. Recently reread Kings "Apt Pupil" and "The Shawshank Redemption." Both good, although I almost like the movie of Shawshank better than the book. That doesn't happen often.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

Ditto JeffT.

I'm a huge Stephen King fan. I like Ken Follett, Jeffrey Archer and Preston and Child's Agent Pendergast series as well. The latest fiction I really enjoyed was, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

• MominAustin
    MominAustin

I am about to start the Sleeping Beauty Trilogy by Anne Rice.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

"The Stand" by Stephen King, but make sure you get the extended version. As an XJW you will thoroughly enjoy this book on a level that no other reader could enjoy and that even Mr King could not have anticipated.

The blurb from the back of my copy of the book, including the dot dot dots ...

"First came the days of the plague ... Then came the dreams... Dark dreams that warned of the coming of the dark man. The apostate of death, his worn-down heels tramping the night roads. The warlord of the charnel house and Prince of Evil. His time is at hand. His empire grows in the west and the Apocalypse looms."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit