Reveal News Hosts a Conference About JWs and Child Sex Abuse

by Hecce 29 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    Richard Oliver16 hours agoIs no one concern that a journalist is supposed to be independent and objective and not turning into advocates or activists

have you read any of his work?

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains
    Is this conference on video by any chance?
  • Hecce
    Hecce

Is this conference on video by any chance?

From Reveal: I’ll be adding more columns as information comes in, and links to videos once they are posted.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Reveal News Hosts a Conference About JWs and Child Sex Abuse; the World is Finally Noticing!

Any idea why, if Reveal was actually hosting this event, it does not seem to be listed on their website??

https://www.revealnews.org/events

Is there another website?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Finkelstein - "...The reason why is because they see themselves the controlling authority over their organization first and foremost, which invokes a state of self protection of its own public image and that's the main reason why they haven't in the past..."

Not to mention that they're willing to bend over backwards to keep the rank-and-file from realizing just how prevalent, institutionalized, and endemic the problem has become, as it (among other things) severely undermines their claim of being "God's exclusive Earthly Organization".

• Hecce
    Hecce
    darkspilver

It seems like the actual Reveal website doesn't have current information, it goes back to 2/17. Most of the information about the event is in the Alexandra James blog; if I find something else I will post it.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

It seems like the actual Reveal website doesn't have current information, it goes back to 2/17. Most of the information about the event is in the Alexandra James blog; if I find something else I will post it.

I thought it was a rolling list of upcoming and past events - with events moving from the 'upcoming' section into the 'past' section, as the event date came and passed - that's certainly how it seems to be laid out, but who knows how they think.

https://www.revealnews.org/events

FYI there is this:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bringing-abuse-to-light-a-convening-to-address-the-jehovahs-witnesses-child-safety-crisis-tickets-32407905919

• Hecce
    Hecce

DS

I think that you are 100% correct.

Thanks

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

FYI

Reveal News, May 3, 2017

Reveal event aims to pry loose documents in Jehovah’s Witnesses cover-up

There’s no question whether Jehovah’s Witnesses policies direct elders to keep child abuse secret from police. They do.

And there’s no question whether the religion’s headquarters maintains a database of alleged child sexual abusers going back decades. Or that Jehovah’s Witnesses leaders have violated court orders to hand it over.

It’s been three years since we began investigating the global child sexual abuse cover-up inside the Jehovah’s Witnesses organization, and even though we’ve learned many key details, questions still remain.

How many child abusers are still active around the world because the Jehovah’s Witnesses did not report them? Which congregations do they attend? And why, even in the face of lawsuits and multimillion-dollar court judgments, do leaders refuse to change their policies in any significant way?

We’ve demonstrated our findings in text, television, radio and virtual reality stories. But we felt there was more to do because of the strong public interest that would be served by answering those questions.

We decided to go back to our sources, people around the world who had fueled our coverage, and try to gather them in one place for a day. As an independent, nonpartisan journalism organization, we would broker a day of speakers, panels and candid discussions about ways to address the Jehovah’s Witnesses child abuse crisis.

We chose London because the Jehovah’s Witnesses are fighting multiple lawsuits and investigations related to their child abuse policies there. The law firm Bolt Burdon Kemp – which has the largest abuse litigation department in England – currently has civil lawsuits against the Jehovah’s Witnesses and brought child abuse experts and survivors from around the U.K.

READ MORE: https://www.revealnews.org/blog/reveal-event-aims-to-pry-lose-documents-in-jehovahs-witness-cover-up/

• Hecce
    Hecce

Getting interesting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit