Are Christians religions all cults?

by SpiceItUp 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

DJ-

I PMed you last night right after you left chat actually. As for my comment above, I was serious, I don't want to be called that again.

And yes, I do accept worship.

Let's just be friends okay?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Aye, religion is a cult, in the same way as government is a cult.
    You see, it's all about rules, and control, and the fear of incarceration...

IMHO, there is a broad distinction between mainstream religion and cults.
    That doesn't mean that I'm all for religion perse, as I think it has it's dangers.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Technically the answer is yes. Webster's 9th New Collegiate Dictionary defines cult as:

1: Formal religious veneration: WORSHIP 2: A system of religious beliefs and ritual: also: its body of adherents.

It's not until the fourth entry that you get to the negative connatations that the word cult holds in today's society.

Thanks for letting me share.

Yeru

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

JW are not any more a cult than the Catholic church, or the Southern Baptist Convention

• DJ
    DJ

I agree LT, as usual........maybe we are a cult.... dj

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

It seems to me.......

that many don't see that there is a big difference between being a christian (an individual thing) and being a member of some group/association, be it denomination, sect, cult or whatever.

For example, I could say " I am a christian who associates with a presbyterian church."

Or I could say " I have changed religions and I am now a Presbyterian."

There is a difference. It's the Borg and its teaching about "organisation" which has conditioned so many to think in its terms i.e. organisations.

Cheers, Ozzie

• DJ
    DJ

Oz,

Thanks for making it clear what I meant....LOL dj

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am reading a book right now that is on my Lifetime list of greats. It is called Becoming Human by Jean Vanier. He describes the balance between chaos and community; our very human desire to avoid chaos and seek community with others.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0809139006/002-6269076-6584055?vi=glance

I have had very positive experiences of community; in the West Indies, small town Alberta, my church, and even my neighbours. I enjoy the sense of security, identity, and belonging. Mr. Vanier points out that community is healthy and good as long as it does not subsume individuality. A healthy community must be open enough to welcome strangers, accept new ideas, and allow criticism by individuals. If a community becomes too closed in on itself, it can be cruel to "outsiders", and even warlike in their intentions. Individuals can be crushed in an oppressive community. All in an effort to protect the community.

Mr. Vanier applies this concept of community across all organizations and institutions such as nations, religions, businesses. He makes lots of sense to me.

Using these concepts, a religion can become cruel (or cultlike) if they become so closed in on themselves that they no longer allow individualism, criticism. Are all men murderers? No, thank goodness. Do we all have the potential to be murderers, in our heart of hearts? I think so. Are all religions cults? No. Do all religions have the potential to become cultic? I think so. Knowing this, I think we all have an obligation to be vigilant, and not allow any community, even this board, to be so closed in and secure that we cannot allow a dissenting voice.

• Introspection
    Introspection

I have an online chat buddy who is an adult looking to become a Catholic, she is very well read and actually understands and agrees with ideas from say, Buddhism for example. The interesting thing here is she's not a poser about it either, usually the ideas come up before the source is mentioned, IF it is mentioned at all - so she's not one of those people that quotes stuff from a book to try to sound like they have a grasp on it, she actually does have a grasp on it. It depends on the individual's attitude.

Now if you want to talk about the individual churches and so on, obviously you're going to have a broad spectrum on the scale. Of course, the cult thinkers are more likely to call the less cult-like ones false Christians because they can't see past what they themselves consider to be Christian. This attitude doesn't require any religion though, you can just have your own cult with one member if you have that attitude.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Do you venerate or worship a man? (eg Jesus) If so you are a cult member. Do you make decisions based upon the thoughts and direction of a man rather than analyse the matter from many perspectives? If so, you are a cult member. Christian means "a follower of Christ". Assuming onto oneself the name "Christian" rather than coining a new one to describe your position, implies a desire to imitate those who have preceeded you as a Christian. Many who call themselves Christian denounce/ignore the apocalypic and elitist aspects of Christianity but find value in selected passages as they equally do other works of "wisdom" the world has preserved, these by misappying the word "Christian" to themselves may not be open to the label "cult member". Ironically, these might more properly be called, "worldly". Just my thoughts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit