What Kind Of Psychological Conseling Do You Think Jehovah's Witnesses Need When They Find Out It's Not The Truth?

by Brokeback Watchtower 23 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

alcohol

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If you were hardcore in your belief then maybe it would be as Jefferson Airplane says in SOMEBODY TO LOVE:

When the truth is found
    To be lies
    And all the joy
    Within you dies

If so, you really need some counseling. Not everyone has the insurance or the income to get counseling, you know- because they gave up going to college or seeking a career because they were seeking Jehovah's favor.
    And that's a shame.

My problems stemmed from something beyond just the JW's and I got standard counseling that included getting past my bitterness about Watchtower. Others might need more focused post-cult counseling that the likes of Steve Hassan provide. But I see those types as expensive and/or rare to find, where standard counseling is relatively easy to find and people of different budgets might be able to find some help. Even priests/pastors will give free help, or colleges will sometimes take patients to talk to their grad students. So there is a mix of what people need and what they can get.

If you can't get any of these, ex-Jehovah's Witnesses or similar ex-cult groups would help a bit. People understand with little explaining what you are going through.

• Chook
    Chook

I just say amen to smiddys comments.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I don't think it would hurt all JWs especially born-ins to at least familiarize yourself with information explaining narcissism and codependent realtionships and how they relate to life as a JW.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I am not sure it isn't the truth. There are true and untrue things, helpful and unhelpful, like everything else.

I am suspicious of the idea of a "correctional" programme to set the JW mind straight. In many important respects JWs have a clearer idea than many others - about not taking part in wars for example. Or the importance of the divine name, if we want to get theological.

There are good things and bad things about JWs. I hope things improve. I think that's what we should all hope. Not a popular view I know, but there it is.

• cofty
    cofty

There is not one single thing about the Watchtower organisation or its teachings that could sensibly be described as true, helpful or good.

In many important respects JWs have a clearer idea than many others - about not taking part in wars for example

Pacifism is morally indefensible.

Or the importance of the divine name

Jesus did not use it. To call god "Abba, Father" is the heart of the christian gospel.

• cofty
    cofty
    I hope things improve. I think that's what we should all hope - SBF

Please don't presume to tell me what I "should" hope for.

I hope for the cult's total eradication.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Wether we agree with JWs or not, it would be good for all concerned if JWs stopped shunning, for example. I would hope we would all welcome that change if it happens.

Some people wouldn't welcome any improvement because they want total destruction. (Pretty much a mirror of worst JW instincts, ironically)

I think that's pretty stupid not to wish for positive change. For example a JW religion without shunning would clearly be better than JWs with shunning. And I do think we should welcome any positive change. Isn't that simply a statement of the obvious?

• cofty
    cofty
    it would be good for all concerned if JWs stopped shunning, for example. I would hope we would all welcome that change if it happens

No not really. I would want nothing to do with so-called friends and family shun or stop shunning as instructed by cult leaders.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That's understandable. And I agree on a personal level, to some extent. People make their choices and it reveals their character. It's hard to forgive and forget, even if they later change their mind.

What I mean is it would be good in general if JWs stopped the practice of shunning. It wouldn't undo past hurt but it would stop future JWs and former JWs from suffering the same. Surely that's a good thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit