Spiritually Weak Ones Are Bad Association according to the Governing Body

by RULES & REGULATIONS 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    mynameislame - "I find myself wondering if they don't realize that their end is in sight and all this craziness is an effort to wake up as many people as possible without causing mass suicides. It seems like a fairly humane way to do things... Make it so crazy people start waking up and any young person would want to get out as fast as possible. Take ownership of all the property so there won't be any fighting over it at the local level. Consolidate and sell off properties to raise cash for the lawsuits and try to keep enough money around to keep things running until all the hardcore, never leaving JWs die off... Or maybe they know it is BS and are just trying to live the rest of their lives in relative comfort while watching the whole thing fall apart."

You're partly right.

They'd never admit out loud that "the end is in sight" for the WTS (it's "God's Earthly Organization", after all), but I guarantee you that on a subconscious, reptile-brain level, they absolutely feel threatened and cornered.

Don't kid yourself, though... I also guarantee you that acting "humane" is not on their agenda. They are concerned with the Org's survival (which manages to be both disingenuous and ironic, IMO).

Sure, they're consolidating property assets to pay legal expenses, but selling off the family silver to stay in the black is not a long-term sustainable business plan.

As to the rest, a number of us have come to the admittedly weird (but, IMO inescapable) conclusion that they both know it's wrong, but believe it's true... at the same time. Make of that what you will.

And lastly, every authoritarian regime in history has opted to crash-and-burn rather than reform or admit defeat... and make no mistake, the WTS is very much an authoritarian regime.

• LV101
    LV101

LHG - Oh, girl - you make me laugh/lolololol.

Most were fiscally irresponsible and the excuse to put kingdom interests first was their cop out card. Some seemed to ignore the scripture re/working hard or no food. I don't know why they had to panhandle inside the halls when many used the welfare system.

I couldn't believe when a friend from the midwest told me over half her old hall claimed to be crazy, have severe mental problems, etc., etc., to quality for welfare. They were just losers living off the hard-working taxpayers.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Since scripturaly the GB of the JWS are false prophet apostates , associating with these men is then bad association and dangerous to ones own spirituality.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

The idea about bad associations existing in Christian congregations and of such bad associations causing danger to the other Christians in the congregations comes from Paul's words at 1 Corinthians 15:33. The context of that verse (see verses 12 - 34 of the same chapter) is about Christians in the congregations saying that there will be no future resurrection of the dead. "The International Bible Commentary With the New International Version" [General Editor (revised edition): F. F. Bruce; New edition 1986] on page 1384 says regarding the "Bad company" portion of verse 33 the following: "Keeping company with men who reject the resurrection will corrupt Christian character. The quotation is a line from Menander's Thais, c. 320 B.C., although it may by Paul's time have been a common Greek proverb."

Regarding the "Bad company" reference "The New Bible Commentary: Revised" (Edited by Guthrie and Motyer; copyright 1970) says the following on page 1072 "... The Corinthians will ruin their Christian lives by mixing with those who live merely for selfish pleasures because they deny any resurrection or final judgement."

The "Life Application Study Bible: New American Standard Bible--Updated Edition" (copyright 2000 by Zondervan) on page 2028 in the study note for 1 Cor. 15:33 says "Keeping company with those who deny the resurrection could corrupt good Christian character. Don't let your relationship with unbelievers lead you away from Christ or cause your faith to waiver."

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thank you for putting that Scripture firmly on context DisJW.

It means that any other application is the usual dishonest thing done by JW Org thing of " going beyond the things written".

Anybody in the JW Org denying the Resurrection would be quickly and firmly ejected, so such people are not in the Org to associate with. So the passage, or single verse, in Corinthians 15 cannot be used by JW Org to limit association with fellow members, unless they do so dishonestly.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Although 1 Corinthians 15:33 is in the context of those who denied the resurrection I think the verse also rightly applies in a broader sense. That is partly because Paul was quoting a pagan (non-Christian) Greek poet (Menander) when Paul said spoke of bad associations spoiling useful habits. Menander obviously did not believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ, yet he nonetheless wrote of the danger of bad associations.

I think it is very sensible for people to limit their association with those who have much lower standards of morality (and other behaviors) than ourselves. That is especially the case if those with lower standards than us are promoting the lower standards to us.

Likewise, associating greatly with those who are frequently deceptive in their speech (and/or in their writings, including in online blog posts) is dangerous since listening to what they say and /or reading what they write can put us at risk of becoming deceived (and of making bad choices) if we are not very careful.

It is however good to occasionally listen to those who say (and/or write) things that we currently disagree with, for they might be right in some of those matters. We should use discernment.

In a number of ways, even people within a congregation of a religion which we might think is the correct religion, there can be people who to varying degrees are bad associations. Likewise bad associations can exist in completely nonreligious organizations. Some who are not members of any organization can also be risky to associate with.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I do my best.

As for opposing views it makes you think. If you cannot articulate a counter argument you have to change or stubborn up. Guess which describes JWs?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The funny thing about the "Spiritually weak" label is that those people were often in my experience the ones who were , looking back, partially awake, and so had stopped faking it.

The ones judged to be "spiritually strong" were usually faking it, we had Elders, Pioneers and "strong" Publishers who I know were faking ministry time, so what kind of moral standard did those people have ? did they really believe in Jehovah ? surely if they did they would have been afraid to lie about what they did in " his service" ?

I'll admit there was the odd, zealous, 100% believer, but they were rare as Rocking Horse Poo, so the ones we were supposed to associate with were Fakers, Liars and Cheats.

No wonder I was always found among those considered " Bad Company".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit