Quit School / Encouraged not to go to college/ unit

by shamus 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Yep, growing up I had always known I wasn't going to college. I did nothing to prepare.... I didn't take the SAT's, I didn't apply for scholarships, and I didn't even try to get into any schools. Back then it was definitely discouraged to go to college for any reason.

Now, then years after high school, I'm actually starting college. I have to take all the beginning courses... English 101, etc. I hope to eventually get a BS in computer science, but it will take a while because I can only attend one or two evening classes per quarter.

Fortunately I turned out pretty well considering I didn't to college (I do computer networks and computer programming). Many of my peers in the organization had much more difficulty finding steady, well-paying work.

I do regret that I didn't go to college. It's my opinion that the organization discourages college so much because those with higher educations tend to be more critical and demand more proof for things they are taught.

• blondie
    blondie

These JWs are not being encouraged to quit school:

http://www.orangeleader.com/articles/2003/05/08/news/news4.txt

Twins seek identical opportunity

Special to The Orange Leader

Patients visiting a local hospital might think they're seeing double, when, in fact, they've met twin nursing students Karen and Christina Cook of Orange.

The sisters work as patient care assistants at Christus St. Elizabeth Hospital in Beaumont about two weekends a month. They plan to earn bachelor of science degrees in nursing from Lamar University this December.

The health care duo, who dressed alike until age 12, are fraternal twins. Although they aren't identical, at first glance, they might pass for carbon copies. They said their friends can tell them apart.

Christina initially had an interest in architecture, although she was fascinated with the medical field.

But Karen has always had a desire to work in health care.

"I always loved medical science," she said. While taking a biology class at West Orange Stark High School, the girls had the opportunity to tour Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. "We were hooked."

The twins decided to pursue nursing careers because it offers a flexible work schedule and the opportunity to help others.

"We love talking to people and helping them," Christina said. "We enjoy that a lot." Christina enjoys working in intensive care.

"You definitely have to be a people person if you work in the nursing field," said Karen, who prefers working in cardiac care.

As part of their training, Christina said, student nurses are taught to anticipate the worst- case scenario and how to respond correctly in that situation.

"Our instructors are trying to help us think more critically, beyond just the student role," Karen said.

Karen said she wants to be as prepared as possible to help her patients.

"We're dealing with people's lives."

As Lamar University honors students, Karen and Christina volunteered at the Ubi Caritas Community Clinic and Health Center in South Park and worked with the Crime Stoppers program.

While still attending high school, the sisters took college courses at Lamar State College - Orange as part of a dual enrollment program. Upon high school graduation in 2001, they transferred to Lamar University to study nursing.

"We graduated with more than 30 hours of college credit, which applied toward our prerequisit classes," Christina said.

Christina said they have considered seeking internships in Houston as part of their studies. After completing internships, they hope to return to the Golden Triangle to review their options, she said.

"We really want a schedule that will allow us to continue to pursue our volunteer work," Karen said.

Christina said their first love is spreading their faith through Bible education. Nursing fits as a career because it gives them the opportunity to earn a living while satifying their need to help others.

They spend about 70 hours a month teaching the Bible. The twins attend

the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses in Orange with their parents, Gary and Joyce.

In 2002, they assisted with flood relief in Houston after Tropical Storm Allison dumped more than 36 inches of water on some areas of the city, causing $5 billion in damage and leaving 22 people dead.

The sisters helped build housing in Houston as part of the flood relief effort, jointly volunteering more than one hundred hours. They primarily worked on the paint crew.

Since age 16, the Cook twins have worked with a Jehovah's Witnesses project in the greater Houston area building halls for new congrigations. During each four-day project, they work on the electrical crew during construction, under the supervisor of a certified electrician. They also offer medical help in case of minor injuries.

Both Karen and Christina have an interest in non-blood management, a means of eliminating or limiting blood transfusions during medical treatment. Christina said Jehovah's Witnesses choose not to accept blood transfusions as part of their faith because the Bible commands followers to "abstain from blood."

"We look for every alternative to blood transfusions, which challenges the medical community," Karen said.

The use of alternatives to blood transfusions in medicine is called bloodless medicine or non-blood management. Christina recently presented a paper on non-blood management as part of an honors nursing project.

Christina said some doctors are using drugs that cause the bone marrow to increase in red cell production in the period before surgery. Blood lost during surgery is offset by the boost in the number of red blood cells.

Karen said advances in technology allow patients to reuse the blood they lose duringsurgery after it is cleansed and filtered. Researchers are also using hyperbaric chambers to increase the oxygen level in blood so patients can tolerate lower blood levels during surgery.

Karen's research on trans-cultural nursing focuses on the sensitivity of a patient's faith, ethnicity, culture and other differences that make people unique.

Nursing is defined by caring, but caring is defined by a cultural context, Karen said, making trans-cultural nursing so important.

"Communication is our strength," she said.

During clinical studies, Karen and Christina don't work at the same hospital. It is against policy for siblings to take clinicals together through the nursing program.

Although the sisters don't dress alike, they do have similar tastes in clothing.

"We try not to wear the same thing, but we buy two of everything," Karen said.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

After I was married for awhile, my "grew up around the truth" wife raised holy hell when I mentioned to her that maybe we should go back to school. she'd have nothing of it. A few years later soon after she was borgified, I broached the subject again with the same results, to which she responded why go to school.....Armageddon is right around the corner. Well...a few years later suffering under a growing mountain of debt with a burger flipping job that was going nowhere fast, after falling spell bound to the borg and finding it all to be nothing more than a very elaborate pipedream, I broached the subject again with the determination that I was going to do it, even if she wasn't no matter what she thought. Numerous, knock-down drag outs and elder visits followed with them all trying to convince me I was wasting my time and that I should be in the feild "so close to the end".

Now my life and financial future is brighter than it's ever been and she no longer has to work all the while still trying to maintain the pretense that her , the elders, or the WT would never have tried to negatively influence anyones decision go to school and that it is up to a person's conscious. Whatever!!!

My biggest waste of time was not going all those years listening to janitor elders and useless WT magazines.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    These JWs are not being encouraged to quit school:

Those two are the very rare exceptions.

Every JW parent I've ever been exposed to had only one wish......that their kids would choose the "Career" of serving full-time in the ministry with a possible stint at Bethel. They don't even fathom that the kid might have to just make a living in this world first.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I fully agree with drwtsn32's comments:

I do regret that I didn't go to college. It's my opinion that the organization discourages college so much because those with higher educations tend to be more critical and demand more proof for things they are taught.

With the support of my dad (a JW elder), I went to a technical school for 6 months after high school, and learned the computer programming trade. I earn an above-average salary and enjoy a challenging career which has supported me for over 23 years.

But the circuit overseer and his wife seemed to discourage even going to trade school (it wasn't a university for God's sakes!!) because it didn't allow for simultaneous pioneering. Listening to my dad's advice was the best thing I ever did.

I am fortunate to be holding my own in a profession where most people need a college degree. It's likely because I've been willing to "learn as I go" the updated skills necessary in the Information Technology field.

However, I believe I would have been even farther ahead with a college education. The education about how this world works and the discipline of the college studies would have served me well if I had learned them formally rather than through the "school of hard knocks".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit