Quit School / Encouraged not to go to college/ unit

by shamus 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• crownboy
    crownboy

Despite being in a third generation, pretty straight laced JW family, I've never had to defend my choice of going to college to any of my JW relatives (including the nauseatingly hard core ones). My dad went to college, so maybe that helped my situation.

One more year of school before I get my undergraduate degree now.

• rocketman
    rocketman

A jw girl I dated back in the late 70s quit high school. It seemed almost the thing to do back then.

I did not attend college, mostly not to blame on jw nonsense though. For me, I just was not interested at the time. I regret that to this day. But it would be unfair for me to blame it on the jw religion.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Pioneering was SO much more important than a worldly education, in those years leading up to Armageddon in 1975...

I finally did go to college, though, and I'll be getting my associates degree in business admin. this month, at age 51, summa cum laude (he brags unabashedly).

Next, a bachelor's in religion...

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

good thread.

How many of you had the same type encouragment to go through school that I had? "This will probably be the last year you'll have to go. The end is SO close now." I had that line thrown at me constantly from the time I was halfway through Kinndygarden. It wasn't that I was prodded into quitting but rather told how futile school was and not allowed to pursue anything of interest to me. I would have finished school I'm sure but my senior year was one disaster after another and at school year's end my dad died. I went to work over the summer and that was it for any edumication till I got a GED 14 yrs later. That was just for the hell of it really and is of no value whatsoever.

I've tried getting into going back to school but I just don't seem to have it in me. That whole mindset of "why bother" has proven quite unshakeable. But, to all of you who go back to school for whatever reason I say great!!! You have reason to be proud of yourselves!

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Good thread, Shamus.

Yep, I was also encouraged to put 'spiritual' pursuits ahead of my education...with the result that I dropped out of high school at the end of 10th grade, got a GED a couple of years later. I recall at around age 15 telling my mom that I wanted to go to college and she laughed at the idea. BUT...I'm now 37 and, if all things go according to plan, I'll graduate with a BA at the end of this year, so it's never too late, ya know?

Dana

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

Good Thread Shamus.

Hi Neon Madman, Congratulations on your Associates Degree. I too am working on my AS degree at the ripe old age of 44. I go on my lunch hour, at night, and I take Distance Ed. courses. Something I am really proud of is a scholarship award that I will receive this Friday Night. I have a 3.88 gpa and I really don't know when I will stop or where. Business pays the bills, but my hearts desire is a Master of Fine Arts in Creative writing.

I have told the story of my visit to the high school counselor 28 years ago. He said you are such a bright girl, let's get you into some College prepatory classes. I said to myself, "Armageddon's coming you moron (meaning him)" Out loud, I said, "I'm not going to college". A sentence that makes me nauseous now.

But, living in the present. I am grateful that I can go to college now and I urge every young person I come in contact with to get their education out of the way before they are 25.

Tonight, I don't feel the burning ball of bitter anger toward the WT. Must be making progress. \

Time for popcorn.

Dragonfly5 (aka SloBoy's spouse)

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    How many of you quit school b/c of the religion?

I was forced to quit high school to stay home and take care of my brothers and sister and vacation pioneer

Another question - how many of you did not go on to college / uni b/c of the religion?

My dream was to go to college/university and become a counselor for abused kids. The religion certainly put an end to that little dream

Do you regret it?

Yes My career would be so much further ahead than it is now. I sacrificed a dream for a pile of nothing

Is your life messed up b/c of it?

Nope. I went to college and university after I left and have the career I want (just have to find another job)

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

i graduated from high in 1968, in the heat of the 1975 hysteria. Even though I wanted to go to college it never occured to me to seriously consider it. I had been so brainwashed. The school superindentant offered to help me get a scholarship but I turned him down. I did OK as a computer programmer as I was lucky enough to be able to learn it on the job. I never would have chosen that field if I had been in a normal family and gone to college. I was always angry even when still a witness that I wasn't allowed to follow my dreams.

At the age of 53 I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a BA in Spanish and I'm now in graduate shcool. Even though I'm doing it now I'm still bitter I didn't do it while young.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I declined scholarships my councelor applied for in my behalf. I had cleaned toilets and dug graves for 20 years to support my pioneering. I am now considering going back to school but of course finaces are a problem. It pains me to see my nephews who are very bright boys have their opportunities squandered away with "home Schooling" and no hope of college. Of course I can not even express my concern as they have shut us out.

• joelbear
    joelbear

I finished high school as an honor graduate. I had several scholaship possibilities.

My parents were totally against college as they believed the end was at the door. That was 1976.

I pioneered and went to Bethel and didn't really start secular work until 1982 as a bank teller. I had no clue what to do for work. No one had any suggestions. I had a successful career as a banker going from a $10,000 a year salary to an $80,000 a year salary. Thankfully I saved a lot and did well in the stock market. So I have some money and a house that's paid for.

20 years later I basically lost my job because I didn't have a college degree. I was the only manager in the company without a degree. All the others has MBA's or other master's degrees.

I decided to go back and get a degree. Its odd being in school at 45 but I'm chomping away at the degree little by little. I have 8 classes left.

Where I'll go next and what I'll do is up in the air. I'll see where I land. I'm probably too old to ever fully realize any of my professional dreams, Mathematician, Marine Biologist, Playwright. We'll see what happens. The years go by so fast they make my head spin.

My life is by no means a disaster, but one will always wonder, what could have been, with a supportive family that was not conned by the "Keep your eyes on the prize" nonsensical mentality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit