Active witnesses? Please help?

by Ahava 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• vienne
    vienne

I'm not a Witness. I never was one, though as a child, I attended meetings with my mother who was one, though an educated, usually clear thinking woman. I see most Witnesses as earnest Christians. I don't have to see the governing body as christ's chosen to believe that.

I have no problem with many of the basic Witness doctrines. But God chooses whom he will, and simply claiming to be the faithful and wise servant does not make you that. The Watchtower misrepresents what is clearly an illustrative parable. You do yourself no or little harm by staying a Witness, as long as your mind is turned on and you are faithful to the law of Christ.

Watchtower belief is an evolving system. Russell, the founding editor of Zion's Watch Tower, would not accept current Watchtower teachings. I do not think that matters to anyone but 'Bible Students.' The name is a total misnomer. They're Russell students. God expects, I believe, faithfulness to himself and his son. Humans do not enter into that equation, though the Watchtower teaches to the contrary. We owe nothing to a group of men who think they have some sort of divine appointment and who must distort a parable to prove that.

We owe everything to god and christ and our own conscience.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I'm not saying Science is stupid or we shouldn't trust, but given these factors, how can you confidently push forward ideas and theories given these constraints?

What constraints ? science is open to critical evaluation based upon physical evidence toward establishing a conclusion of accepted facts or reality.

Religion is constrained upon human ignorance by men who strive to circumvent their own power through the belief in human ignorance constrained within ancient mythology.

The JWS religion was created by men running a religious publishing house and is very dangerous and damaging toward humanity out of its adherence and propagation to human ignorance. The bible is mostly sourced from the ancient Hebrews but that civilization existed 3000 years ago and we can honestly assume that human ignorance is an indefensible fact based upon the knowledge we have to day.

Is it better for humanity to ideologically and socially adhere to its past ignorance ?

• cofty
    cofty
    Creation: Science has glossed over how consciousness and life entered the universe, that's a pretty big thing to miss but everything has it's limits.

Actually it has done no such thing. Progress in the field of abiogenesis is very exciting. The most promising ideas are coming out of bioenergetics. Would you like me ot suggest some reading material?

JWs are required to submit to the incredibly stupid dogma that humans have only been on earth for just over 6000 years. That is jaw-droppingly ignorant!

Humans evolved from non-human ancestors over millions of years. This much is beyond sensible dispute. How many books would you like me to suggest on this topic?

Here are forty bits of evidence just to get you started...

By the way the WT brochures on creation are woefully dumb and dishonest in equal measure.

• JaniceA
    JaniceA

JWs insist that the Bible is the literal inerrant inspired word of god. Nothing about it is up for question. Then they have wrapped the org and the governing body up as a critical aspect to understanding prophecy and bible fulfillment.

When they say the literal age of the creation is 6000 years, you are obliged to ignore dismiss or misrepresent any evidence to the contrary.

have fun with that

• Incognito
    Incognito
    I'l accept the doctrines if I can prove the Governing Body is being led by God.
    I usually agree with the things they explain. I'll accept the understanding if I can prove the Governing body is being led by God.

Welcome Ahava!

As the JW Governing Body are the ones claiming to be led by God, the obligation is on them to offer undeniable evidence God has chosen them otherwise, God would need to make his choice plainly evident through other means.

How will you prove they are led by God when there is no proof to be found?

they're just trying to follow rules and give back to God.

What rules did Jesus tell his Apostles, Christians are to follow?

• steve2
    steve2

I think Ahava has had the opposite of an Aha-va moment and will not be posting here again.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Listened to interesting presentation the other day on human origins by John Walton, Seventh Day Adventist preacher, and professor of chemistry at St Andrews University.

http://www.crieffadventist.org.uk/mp3/2009/JohnWalton/091111_JohnWalton_ForbiddenScience32.mp3

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

There is no proof the GB is being led by God.

You have more to lose than gain by becoming a jW.

Speaking as someone who actually is a JW, JWs are a very destructive controlling group and many JWs end up with depression because of the level of control and interference in their lives. In fact your mind and your life will cease to be your own. Buyer beware!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Welcome Ahava.

From what you've written it seems you like structure and are not so worried about facts. Do not limit yourself to information provided by the object of your research, ie: "The GB are Jehovah's spokesman because they said so". This will explode in your face if you get baptized and then you find the facts they presented you were false. You will be reviled, ignored and become an object of derision. Give it time. If you are studying with them take an extra long time studying before baptism and see how their interest in you will wane as you ask pertinent questions. I would ask, "will JW's still believe in doctrines 10 years from now that they believe is truth now? What if they change their belief in a life or death matter and were wrong all along?

Unless you are easily used for their gain via money or prestige you will be dropped.

• Pete Zahut
  • "Get baptised with half a heart, I have enough appreciation and respect for what I've learned
  • Get baptised with conviction, which I'd like but I'm struggling"

• Jesus and the Apostles spread God's message and they baptized people. and Jehovah's Witnesses pride themselves in being "footstep followers" of Jesus and his Apostles.
  • Where in the Bible does it indicate that Jesus and the Apostles required that anyone desiring baptism first had to be qualified by studying several man made publications, by meeting a minimum amount of hours out in field service and then publically answering aloud, the word YES, when asked the two following questions before they are immersed ?

• 1. On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

2. Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?

• There is likely good reason you are hesitating to get baptized. On some level you know something isn't quite right. I'm guessing that God would understand and appreciate anyone who held off getting baptized because he or she wanted to fully understand what they were doing.
  • JW's tend to indicate that the only way to serve God. They believe they are in a life saving work and anyone who isn't a Jehovah's Witness will be destroyed at Armageddon. They won't likely say this directly out loud or to your face but all you have to do is read their literature to the sense of urgency you are experiencing in regard to getting baptized.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit