DId you ever fall asleep at the meetings, Assemblys??

by karter 39 Replies latest jw friends

• karter
    karter

If i'm tierd i fall asleep anywere so the meetings ect were no diffrent my wife would always try to wake me but im a deep sleeper. karter

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I think that most of the speakers are asleep when they are at the podium!

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

Yes for sure.

WhenI was growing up there was a family in our congregation with a 4 year old. If he fell asleep at the meeting he was taken out, water splashed on his face and then was walked back into the Hall with water dripping off his face for all to see. The same family had the book study at their place and the chair the kid sat on had pins in it where his head would fall if he fell asleep. Poor kid. Broke my heart.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

At the convention my head would always nod. Unfortunately, there was no head rest so no way of falling asleep there. Plus your mum or whoever was next to you would wake you up.

It's simply not possible to listen to talk after talk after talk for 8 hours and stay sharp. The brain doesn't learn that way. Listening and watching WILL make you tired after 1.5 hours even if you're 100% interested. Unfortunately the GB haven't read "worldly" psychology that tells them that people learn more and retain more in 20 minute bursts with a short break between each one.

• KiwiBoy
    KiwiBoy

I recall the days when once a month a talk was given at the book study group. As soon as the speaker started to talk I was fast asleep. He talked to me about it after and all I could say was I was so tired....it had nothing to do with what he was saying. At least that made him happy. A few years later the speaker was D/f for interfering with young boys.....maybe just as well I fell asleep.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Frequently!

For several years, the work I did was extremely demanding physically, so drifting off to sleep during the meetings was simply irresistable - and my wife was forever jabbing me in the ribs to wake me up. (Like about every five minutes!)

After several years of that I finally woke up to myself and decided to resume the apprenticeship that the borg made me abandon pre-1975. That, however, is another story for another time!

• waton
    waton

A certain individual always slept at a certain time, meeting or not, but he had a explosive sneeze. remark about that: XYZ sleeps at the meeting, but he does not let anybody else.sleep for long.

sleeping at meetings has great benefits, assures a resurrection, it did for Eutychus!

• alanv
    alanv

I think one of the benefits of being a man in the org, was the responsibilities we were given. I used to enjoy being in charge of a book study group, looking after the literature and giving talks. So there was no way I would fall asleep at the meetings if i was to keep all that.

• Chook
    Chook

I often went to work at 3am before the meetings on Sunday so l was exhausted by the time the propaganda started flowing,my wife would rib me when l started snoring. Often the clap after the public talk woke me.

• dozy
    dozy

I often used to nod off in most meetings. When I was a MS , I used to look after the sound at the back of the hall & one of the perks of the job was that you could have a snooze & nobody would notice ( normally there were 2 of us there , so it wasn't an issue. ) On one occasion though , it was just me & I completed nodded off during the service meeting and didn't turn the mikes on for a demonstration. The somewhat irate speaker said " Our Brother Dozy appears to be asleep - somebody wake him up , please"!

As an attendant as the conventions , we used to look up at the audience and often ( especially on a hot summer afternoon during an especially boring talk ) you would just see a whole stand of people sleeping. It was a somewhat surreal experience which was almost like a mass hypnosis ( which I guess , at some level , it kind of was ) which we always found amusing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit