What Was Your Most Memorable Field Service Experience?

by Sea Breeze 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Excuse me maam, I happened to be in your neighborhood today sharing Watchtower publications. No matter what you are worried about, the WT has something for you. They are finely printed 192 page publications designed to answer some of life's most important questions. Look how shiny the covers are.

How about this one, "Is the Bible Really the Word of God"? There is no further obligation if you get one.

• Overrated
    Overrated

Seems I made my monthly quota when out in field circus a close friend and I would find a public trash bin. We sure not really knocked on any doors but made our hours. Bible studies where trips to our favorite eateries. You can say we worked the system to our benefit.

• just fine
    just fine

I was out with another “sister”. She leaned up against the railing on the porch, it wasn’t attached and she fell in the bushes. I tried to help her up and fell on top of her. Fortunately no one was home and it was before video doorbells. 🤣

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The times when no one showed up for field circus. Or, when we go out to a territory and 90% of the homes were Spanish--good thing I took French in school instead of Spanish, and that I am working on German instead of Spanish now. (I have seen people in the regular congregation that were fluent in Spanish being exploited for those doors, despite a dedicated congregation for such).

One thing I remember is going to a book store for "street work", and I spent more time looking at the books than actually doing anything for the religion (and still counted the time). Later, I made a "return visit" to the store--to buy a few of the books, not to do more "street work".

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

As a side note, anyone remember getting the WT & Awake in the thin brown individual wrappers delivered by postal service?

Seems like they were oddly satisfying to unwrap for some reason. Or, was it just me?

• asp59
    asp59

I remember a nutty new publisher He used to have stopwatch when preaching. He started the watch when ringing on doorbell. Stop clock after talking to house owner. Then started clock again nextdoor he rang. He said he didn't want to steal service time from God 😂. He lasted some weeks, then we never saw him again at meetings.

• waton
    waton
    As a side note, anyone remember getting the WT & Awake in the thin brown individual wrappers delivered by postal service?

SB: triple brown 'fs' experience here: had a 'bible study] with a baptist on the "superior authorities" in the brown 'Let god be true, [men liar]' book. defended the impossible wt doctrine of J&j being superior in position, and took a lot of the brown stuff, abuse from the 'householder' in the process. Coming home to the pioneer home, like in bethel, brown envelope on bed. Ta-da, New Light, HM The Queen back as the super superior authority, even in wt's eyes, J&j only supreme.

actually quadruple brown: brown book; s-----brown wt doctrine; s--brown treatment I received, deservedly; brown envelope with bad/good news. Good news? because it proved to me once and for all, that

wt doctrine is detritus. make that 5 browns.

Other memories, raising my bible in hand quickly to nose heights, because the householder, perhaps by habit used in her trade, . had answered the door in her eve costume. Used my bible as her figleaves, maintained eye contact though, unfazed.

giving a 5 scripture 'sermon' with a shepherd dog grasping my wrist, that held the bible, flipping pages with the other hand.

being chased out of a village by a crew of carpenters wielding their crowbars.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

How old are you waton?

• Biahi
    Biahi

I remember the brown wrappers coming in the mail, too.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

In the early 1970's my brother-in-law and I knocked on a door and this gorgeous woman opened up and she had on a see through neglegee with nothing else. It was a beautiful sight and we both had a "hard" time trying to keep eye contact while we gave our spiel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit