What Was Your Most Memorable Field Service Experience?

by Sea Breeze 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Me: Selling the WT and Awake for 10 cents at 5 years old.

I don't mean to brag or anything, but I sold 'em like hotcakes. I musta been a cutie at 5 YO.

(Or, was .10 a small price to pay to get us off the porch?)

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

Don't know if this is "most memorable", but it's the first one that comes to mind.

Early 90's - the Awake cover featured a series of articles on crack cocaine, which was the big thing in the news then.

Was out in service with an older guy, a few flapjacks short of a grand slam, if you know what I mean. Also had near-zero social grace.

Walk with him up to a door, householder is working in his yard.

Householder: "Good morning, how..."

Brother No-Filter: "WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS CRACK???"

Householder, confused, begins inspecting his sidewalk for fissures.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I've done my best to forget it. I truly detested the field service.

I was told, 'Try pioneering for a year, you'll never regret it". Well I did it, and it was awful. I do regret it.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I was a little girl, some householder got a captive audience with my mom. She was some nut that was against sex education for kids. She showed a book to my mom that had cartoon drawings of how different animals have intercourse. At the last page, was a drawing of a human man and woman having sex. You basically saw nothing except 2 animals or people on top of one another, or close to each other (nothing graphic). I kept trying to look at this book, but she kept turning it away from me, so only my mom could see it. Finally, my mom managed to get away from her. I turned back and yelled as we left, “I saw the dogs!” Lol

• Sea Breeze
  • StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I used to start all my presentations with:

"Hello sir/ma'am, we're having discussions with our neighbors this morning on a topic that has an impact on everyone and ... " I asked them a question.

then a man at the door said... "no. you're not having discussions, you're preaching. I can tell that no matter the answer I have for you, you already have a come back. If I say no, you'll say this and if I say yes, you'll say that. that aint a conversation, its leading up for a sell.

If you truly want to have conversations, ask open ended questions where you have no idea what the person will say. While they are saying it, don't think of a come back, simply listen to what they have to say. Once they are done saying it, new ideas might emerge. That's what a conversation is! You're just here to sell your ideas.

From that day forward, I never used that expression again when preaching. Later, when I was ready to hear what people really had to say, I used open ended questions, but that was when I was alone... never did it with other people with me.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Another one of my introductions was : "We're teaching the bible" and the guy at the door told me, so why are you holding your magazines in your hand? Its like writing a book report with the "Cole's notes" of a book. Shouldn't you be able to simply use the book itself?

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

One of the worst I had was me preaching to a homosexual who's answer was: Listen, I'm happy, with my spouse, having a good breakfast, enjoying life, and here you come to my door to tell me that the only way I'll be truely happy is by giving up on the love of my life. Just imagine that: You find the girl of your dream, mary her and have children. Then some kid shows up to your door and tells you that God wants you to leave all that behind for him... How do you expect me to believe that God want's my happiness?

• SadElder
    SadElder
    Going to breakfast instead.
  • Biahi
    Biahi

I wish they’d start up again, door to door. I hope they come to my house, I will tell them that I’m familiar with their teachings and beliefs, and I’d rather die at Armageddon than live in a spiritual North Korea forever. Ha!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit