My letter of disassociation, what do you think?

by James Jack 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• JeffT
    JeffT

My wife and I stopped going to meetings in early 1988 and sent a letter of disassociation in March, 1989. I'd do it the same way again.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

One thought ... sending a letter of dissociation is one way of halting any where are you calls, we haven't seen you recently at the meetings.

If I were to send in a letter I would state that after an honest review of the doctrines which were created and promoted by the WTS leaders (GB) ie. 1914 I found that these doctrines were not inline to what the bible says or what Jesus said in preaching his new Kingdom order, in fact I find them sinful, unfaithful and apostate in nature.

I made a baptismal personal vow of loyalty and faithfulness to Jesus, not to be faithfully loyal in servitude to the propagating sins of men or sharing of those identifying sculptural sins.

To me being righteous in the eyes of god means to be loyal and obedient to his directions and will, not to sinful disobedient unloyal men in spite of them proclaiming themselves the FDSL.

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

James Jack, KUDOS TO YOU. I believe we both use to live the same area of Florida. I think your letter is to thr point and actually separates you from the corrupt org.

I went back and forth deciding whether to walk away or write a letter. I wrote the letter, never got harassed and life truly went forward without me having to hide who I was. It was and is great. I wish the same for you and the bold move you have taken!

• Giordano
    Giordano

Since you intend to run as a candidate I would think the local Elders would be on the phone to the CO who would then be in contact with the Society.

There are certain situations that the Society will not touch with a ten foot poll.

It is your right to run for office. The voting pubic might get really upset with the JW's who feel they must shun you.

I also think you might want to talk to an attorney for a potential slander issue. The Elders may be told to be cool about your situation but the congregation may gossip and slander you.

You have reached a point where you want to exercise your right to be free of this religion. Holding political office may have built in protections.

Something to think about.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TAMERIA:

I think sending a letter of Disassociation is great if people have no relatives or connections in the JW religion.

If people are worried about their names and reputations being trashed (and we’ve all heard of this), they should send either a letter or email to certain people there right before the DA letter is sent. Even though it won’t stop ALL of the gossip..at least some will know the real story. Besides, once you are out and assuming you have no connections whatsoever (business, etc.) who gives a rat’s ass what anybody there says.

I know some are of the opinion that a DA letter is ‘playing by the religion’s rules’, but I dont think this is necessarily true. Even though I personally did a ‘Fade’ years ago, if somebody gets satisfaction telling the religion off, let them do it.

• James Jack
    James Jack

I have 10 family members in. 7 are inactive and supportive of my endeavors. I’ve already created another circle of friends with no JW connections.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

@LongHairGal,

I did send my JW relatives a heads up before the announcement was made, but it didn't make any difference. They still chose the lies that were spilled and even made up a few of their own. Learned this through other relatives who were not JWs.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Top tip for anyone still in and wanting to leave. Set up your own WhatsApp (or similar) group so when they throw you out those who want to stay in touch can do so without the prying eyes of elders. Make sure those you care about know how to find you privately.

I can tell you more are leaving. Patience, a helping hand and understanding of their confusion and difficult situation has worked wonders. Elders are having to chew on sticks.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Since you intend to run as a candidate I would think the local Elders would be on the phone to the CO who would then be in contact with the Society.

There are certain situations that the Society will not touch with a ten foot poll.

@Giordano ......

You are 110% correct. If you are in the public arena, they want to stay as far away from the issue as possible. I would guess that if you are running for office, they would not want to make it an issue and just hope you quietly go away and not say anything. The last thing they want is to have you make it public that you are attempting to serve the public and then got kicked out of the Borg because you ran for public office. If you win, they will want to bury the issue even further. If anyone asks about your religion, just say Christian and leave it at that.

I know what many here are saying about it's better for a DA, but there is still a lot, IMO, to be said about letting them do what they want and not get involved in the game. The more public it gets, the more they want to keep it quiet and not "bring reproach on the organization".

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Congrats James! Disassociating was the best decision for my wife and I. Out 5 years in September and we'd make the same choice again. I only wish we had done it sooner.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit