Don't count on witnessing Watchtower's demise anytime soon.

by Roger Kirkpatrick 69 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Of course they aren't going anywhere. There's a sucker born every minute. Some portion will find their way into this cult. Groups like Heaven's Gate still exist. Belief and faith overcomes reason and if the JWs went belly up financially they'd just go online only and keep it going. The pieces are even in place. They still grow overall in numbers every year. They've gotten leaner by getting rid of many buildings and cashed in on Brooklyn. They'll be fine. I wish that wasn't true, but they'll be fine for a long time. They can drag out "the last days" forever and are already trying to switch to more mainstream Christianity. They'll just end up somewhere close to that and the nuttery we were exposed to won't come to mind anymore than a current JW thinks of Russell.

• Spiral
    Spiral

I don't think they are going to fold any time soon, but I'm hoping that what's left is less charged up about going after people who want to leave. I know the vitriol that's coming out of JW.Borg, but here in this area, the pubs are just worn out. Local second language congregation is folding. No one is going after the faders. People are in contact with DF/DA family. ("Don't ask, don't tell" is the rule of the day.) That in itself is a relief. Sure hoping that trend gets traction throughout the bOrg. It's one thing the whip the horses in videos to go after "lost ones" and shun DF'd people, it's another thing to actually make it happen. I'm hoping that people who are being mistreated by their JW families will finally get some relief.

I think over time they'll become just another TV church with some dedicated followers, a few hangers-on, and much less visibility on the street.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Could it be that the WT has secretly diverted some of its finances to survive as plan B or C? I mean, were not a couple of WT missionaries caught trying to enter Italy a couple of years violating some laws? What about the rumor that the WT was heavily involved in Argentina investing in real estate business?

slimboyfat, Where can I send you the photo-copies of Robert Countess' book on the divine name?

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer
    slimboyfat, Where can I send you the photo-copies of Robert Countess' book on the divine name?

Wonderment, do you mind giving the name of that book?

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

Their running scared they know they can loose it all in child abuse lawsuits so their going to sell sell and sell some more. They may not be Going anywhere anytime soon but their getting smaller and smaller. They don’t have the numbers they claim and their preaching work is about dead. I mean the cart work is a joke and the door to door is really not working either. After all those that came in in the run up to 75 die off and then their kids which are in their 50-60s there won’t be many left.

Lets not forget that most the kids that grew up in it from the 70s on have left. I’m in my 50s and almost everyone in my age group left my hall. My sister is 15 years younger then me and again almost everyone in her age group also left. You just can’t have that bad of a retention rate for your children and be growing like they say.

Theres less then 4 million baptized jws world wide and their getting smaller by the minute imo, and even older ones are leaving now. Me two of my friends their brothers and sisters other friends they know that are about the same age. The retention rate for the cult is bad very bad and that’s a good thing. And for ever 10 adults still in the cult 3 or so are checked out mentally.

So yes we can say the cult is not going anywhere but has anyone noticed the storm that’s forming out there. The shits about to hit the fan and they may wish they weren’t around when it’s all over.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

ScenicViewer:

The name of the book by Robert H. Countess: The Jehovah's Witnesses' New Testament: A Critical Analysis of the New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures (2nd. ed. 1987, Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Co.). This book is critical of the NWT. The discussion of the divine name is a chapter of the book or so.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don’t have that book and I’ve always wanted it. But I suspect it’s pretty out of date since a lot more has been written on the subject of the divine name since, plus it was likely very biased against JWs to begin with. Nevertheless it looks like a rare example of significant engagement with the NWT as a major Bible version so would be worth reading.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

That book seems to be available on Ebay or Amazon (used, good condition) in the price range of $12 to $13 with free shipping. I just ordered one myself.

Wonderment, thanks for the information!

• Half banana
    Half banana

I'm not counting on it Roger for as long as people want to believe foolish promises there will be a religion waiting to assimilate them.

However it is gratifying to observe the financial decline and bad publicity-- and therefore loss of influence, now found in the JW cult.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

Slimboyfrat -

So you mean the End is right around the corner?
    They are in 2 minute warning and the seconds are ticking down:)

Sorry for being sarcastic, and I REALLY HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT!! With all my heart.

I just think this doomsday prediction isn't based on fact, since we lack 2 things.

The WT books, and their internal plans & reasonsings.

So without that, we cobble together outcomes that fit what we want to see.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit