Television shows that you could not watch.

by shamus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

We weren't supposed to watch I Dream of Jeannie or Bewitched because of the story we all heard about one sister that was watching Bewitched and the same thing that popped up in Samantha's living room, popped up in this sisters. Perhaps she forgot to take her medication that day.

Parents were also warned not to let their chilluns watch Scooby-Doo, or Casper the Friendly Ghost because they both were "goolish". Even the Road Runner was banned in some Witness homes as they were "too violent".

My father, for the most part ignored this, but when some CO came up with the brilliant idea that we shouldn't even be watching Star Trek or Star Wars, my father flipped and basicially told them to mind their own business (never tell a Trekkie he can't watch Captain Kirk!).

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

1) Night Gallery (demons)

2) Twilight Zone (demons)

3) Outer Limits (demons)

4) Bewitched (withcraft, hence demons)

5) Three's Company (immoral)

6) Star Trek (placed hope for future in man, not God's kingdom)

Stan

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

Couldn't watch Bewitched, any day or night time soaps ( like Dynasty ) , any violent cartoons ( this included Tom and Jerry ) , any so-called demon cartoons ( like Casper ) , so-called immoral shows like Three's Company , certainly no R rated films , and the list goes on. As for the Smurf stories, once those started surfacing, my little brothers and sister could no longer watch Smurfs. My brother had a collection of little plastic smurfs, and he had to throw all of them away! God forbid they start walking around the house or something. I'm surprised they didn't burn them ( or maybe they were just afraid they would scream if burned, like demonised things apparantly always do! ). There were much stricter households than mine though. Atleast my mom allowed us to watch PG and PG-13 movies. In a hall we used to visit, there was a family that wasn't even allowed PG movies. Their mom said that PG stood for Pure Garbage! LOL

• obiwan
    obiwan

No Tonight Show, Benny Hill I wasn't even allowed to see Star Wars when it came out, but I could watch Star Trek.

• integ
    integ

i could'nt be a fan of DePaul or Notre Dame because they were catholic schools.....(although I secretly rooted for ND) but felt guilty about it. I was'nt even allowed to watch the Andy Griffith show because it glorified drunkenness i.e: Otis Campbell.

• Francois
    Francois

No, I don't remember Teddy Bear's Picnic. Also, what Andy Devine actually said was, "Plunk your magic twanger froggie." Gotta keep that straight. You say that to someone today and she thinks you're suggesting some sort of racy behavior best performed behind the barn.

francois

• undercover
    undercover
    I was'nt even allowed to watch the Andy Griffith show because it glorified drunkenness i.e: Otis Campbell.

To not watch the Andy Griffith show! I believe I would have rebelled at that point. Witnesses. They beat everything, you know that?

• sandy
    sandy
    the story we all heard about one sister that was watching Bewitched and the same thing that popped up in Samantha's living room, popped up in this sisters. Perhaps she forgot to take her medication that day

.LOL That was funny.

I remember someone from my old hall asked this young elder if it was ok to watch Disney Cartoons such as....... god I cannot remember which one exactly.

But the over zelaous JW wanted to know if it was ok or not because the characters had supernatural powers and used them to do bad things.

I cannot remember all the details now. But the dumbo elder's answer was it is ok because the moral of the story is good vs evil and the good people always win.

Couldn't he just say if it bothers your conscience don't watch them.

• blondie
    blondie

I got to watch just about anything I wanted since my dad was not a JW. I can remember people saying Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie were bad to watch because of the magic. I would just ask if they watched Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella. When they said yes, I asked what was the difference between the magic in the former compared to the latter?

It would always get real quiet.

Then I would say that they were being hypocrites then.

Blondie

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

I knew of an elder who made his whole family walk out of Disneys " The Little Mermaid ". The reason? Not just because of the witch, but because he thought Arial had a bad attiude. She sang a song saying she wanted to be part of that world ( meaning the land ). LMAO!!! He was afraid his two daughters would adopt a similar " worldly " attitude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit