Television shows that you could not watch.

by shamus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus
    shamus

Don't ask me why it didn't work. The website is

www.smurf.com

Duh.

• Francois
    Francois

I can't remember too many programs extant when I was a child, and it didn't really matter much since my parents weren't "strong" dubs at that time. Believe it or not, RADIO programs were viewed as being more damaging to one's spirituality than TV, since there were so many more of them.

There was a Saturday morning program for kids called "Big John & Sparky". Big John was played by Andy Devine and Sparky was a hand puppet frog. And whenever Big John wanted special information from Sparky, he'd say, "Plunk your magic twanger Sparky," and there'd be all sorts of smoke and sparks and such coming out of an old grandfather clock and bingo, there would be Sparky with his answer. Always right, of course. I could see where the WTBTS could get it's tit in a wringer over that one, but it didn't. I don't think they were as controlling then as they are now.

The double-entendre's of Bob Hope (who will be 100 years old May 29th) you would think would get him banned from JW ears, but again nothing of the sort happened.

The only TV I couldn't watch were those programs that came on too late for me to see. However, if the parental units were gone, I would watch them anyway.

francois

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Damn the Jehovah's Witnesses! Their cultish beliefs and propaganda preoccupy members so much with peddling magazines and attending meetings that they actually miss out entirely on life! As a child I was disciplined for watching regular cartoons. No Smurfs, no He-Man, no Transformers, no GI-Joe, no R-rated movies, no this, no that....

They are bloodsucking vultures who take the very life out of you by indoctrinating you to do nothing but sell magazines to make the Watchtower Society money, and as soon as you are too old or infirm to perform, or begin to question their beliefs and tactics, you are discarded like trash.

I hate Jehovah's Witnesses and everything about them.

• JH
    JH

Maybe not television shows, but renting movies.

At the hall an elder said in a talk that 95% of all movies were not for christians...

yea....sure.....

I saw what elders rent. I was there. Maybe they are low on sex, but violence is abundant in the movies they rent.

I guess they rent the sex movies when they are alone.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I wasn't allowed to watch scooby-doo, smurfs, he-man, married with children, the twilight zone, people's court, divorce court, any r-rated or pg-13 movies. I would have to hide my music cd's from my parents because they would take them away if they thought they were "questionable". Once I got into my late teens, they finally started letting me listen to whatever I wanted and go to concerts.

• rocketman
    rocketman

There is one jw family in the area that allows their kids only PG movies.

As for TV, Friends, Seinfeld, The Simpsons (oh that rebellious Bart!), were all on various jw no-watch lists.

• avishai
    avishai

Most of the above, & Batman.

• be wise
    be wise

Reborn,

(heh heh) when I was little I couldn't watch Heman or Dungeons and Dragons - that was a no no.

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

Thanks for the update, Francois. I didn't remember that Big Jon was played by Andy Devine, though I did recall that Sparky was a frog. Never got to enjoy the ending of the show as thats when I was dragged out of the house to go in the field service by mommy dearest

Do you still remember all the words to the theme song, 'Teddy Bears Picnic'?

• shamus
    shamus

I remember watching TRAINS PLANES AND AUTOMOBILES with an elder, and we were pissing our pants laughing when his rental car was not where it was supposed to be - and complained to the clerk. (lots of swears). He was cool!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit