Witness No More - any thoughts?

by dozy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• dozy
    dozy

For those who don't know , there is an ex-JW "activist" in the north of England called Mark who demonstrates outside Kingdom Halls , focusing on the child abuse issue and similar topics. He regularly updates his visits on his Youtube channel , which has gained something of a cult following

Occasionally ( albeit less frequently , as he is now well known ) he gets into the KH & shouts and disrupts the meeting. He is quite a stubborn individual and often the police have been called.

He is now asking for financial support for him to continue his work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=103pcrx5Pqc

Do people have any opinions on the efficacy of this kind of activism and what increasingly is the monetisation of ex-JW activities , which seem to have created something of an industry all of its own .

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Altho I sympathise with this guy, I totally disagree with his method. He goes in and shouts (sometimes with a megaphone) and THIS is precisely what the GB want the JWs to think apostates are like.

Compare this with Zeb Leatherman. Again, it's not my method of waking up JWs but at least doesn't shout. He gets up on the platform and says a prayer highlighting the Watchtower abuses.

I don't know if storming a KH has any positive results in waking up JWs. Most likely they're more distracted by the shouting and I really don't want kids in the KH afraid of some loon coming in shouting down a megaphone.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I echo paley's comments.

Far too extreme. I remember when I was a Jobo. The 'evil slave class™' denonstrating by the river Trent in Nottingham. Boy, I thought they were bonkers.

I'm afraid I have to agree that the 'shouty' method only sends Jobos back behind their bOrg force field.

You catch a wasp with sugar not vinegar.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I totally disagree with his method. He goes in and shouts (sometimes with a megaphone) and THIS is precisely what the GB want the JWs to think apostates are like.. ~ Pale Emperor

I agree with PE. Hopefully the actions of these extreme activists make THEM feel better because I believe it certainly has a negative affect on the overall effort to awaken active JWs by reinforcing their "persecution complex".

Unless there are emotional health issues involved, I suspect these individuals have been greatly harmed by the WT and their policies. If that were the case for me or my family, perhaps I'd have a different point of view. I guess the fact that it probably causes a tremendous amount of stress and grief for the local BOE is a "plus".

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

So a guy that was on my podcast crashed a KH, but it was His KH that he grew up in, and he outed his abuser from the platform. That I support. He just took his power back and let people know what happened so they can protect their own.

I'm not a fan of running into random places yelling and causing scenes for one's own edification. I saw one crash where people, specifically sisters who were abused, stood one by one and told their story briefly. I felt okay about that. I think it has to be taken on a case by case basis, not condemned outright. I think it has a place, but the message has to be on point and done right. Just yelling and making scenes alone doesn't do much. Do you have something to say, or do you want to be heard. The latter is has more impact.

My wife came across Witness No More last night somewhere online and saw his video where he effectively said nothing but asked for support. Neither of us knew his story. It sounds like he needs to relax a bit. It sounds like he's in hot water legally, and possibly deservedly, I don't know because he said nothing of substance on what we watched.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

There has been a lot of stuff going off in Hull if any of you know about it. A witch hunt to get rid of anyone with 'apostate' leanings. The C.O sounds a piece of work and there are tapes of judicial committees etc and tapes of the C.O talking about having a 'purge' in the circuit. They even DF an older gentleman who was of the anointed and Mark has a very good interview with a lovely lady who was also involved and went to the newspaper.

It's been kicking off for awhile in Hull. Mark is just part of what has been happening.

He isn't asking for money to live on and be a full time activist. He's asking - reluctantly - because the WT are probably taking him to court and he needs a solicitor. He didn't want to ask for help, he said so. He didn't necessarily want money either, just if anyone could help him with the legal process.

I don't agree with his method at all but he feels very strongly about what has been happening up there and it's his way. He feels if he stops then WT has won.

He's a single parent with a son with learning disabilities, I think. I personally feel he's done his bit and should continue with his activism online if he wants to do something. His son needs him.

I've been following him from the beginning and he comes across as a nice, geniune person.

• tiki
    tiki

He is free to do what he chooses, but given the dub persecution complex, his methodology is counter productive imho. He is reinforcing the mentality that "apostates" are crazies trying to get a following. Most of us are not that way...simply enlightened and sad for the loss of years of a truly meaningful and productive life....

• Giordano
    Giordano

There are any number of ways to reach out to people about the reckless dogma of the JW's and the history of the WTBTS then shouting outside or inside a KH.

In my own case I have been invited on occasion to give a brief presentation and Q & A session about the ten years I spent as a JW......as a pioneer and multi tasked Elder half of that time. However, in all candor, I have learned more about my old religion during the 7 or so years I have spent with you guys on this forum.

An open and accurate conversation about the practices and beliefs of the JW's with people, usually in other churches, who wanted to understand what they are about is very productive.

It's interesting that the JW's are not known for their message nor their Jehovah God.

They are known for not celebrating holidays, birthdays etc.

For refusing blood transfusions.

They are known for their door knocking but not in a favorable light. Nor could anyone remember anything they had to say.

There is a growing awareness of a pedophile problem but not that the JW's allow a repentant child molester to knock on people's doors. Nor did they know that for decades the JW's were told not to report child sexual abuse to the police etc.

I usually leave them with some of the crazy things you can be DFed for such as me visiting that church group talking about the pro's and con of the JW construct.

That If a JW visits their church and sits through a service they could be DF for that. Indicate t0 the Elders that you are going to become a member of the church I am addressing and you will be known as an apostate and shunned for life.

But what really get's to them (lol) is that those nice looking mannerly JW's who are knocking on your door are also checking out your property to see if they should move in after you are destroyed in Armageddon.

When its personal it really hits home.

You don't have to shout or be a verbal bully to make your point.

Admittedly speaking candidly to a JW does trigger their cognitive dissonance.....but that's their problem.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Picketting outside a kh is pointless but also not something i would view as agressive..

interrupting meetings? My negative views on that sort of jackassery are well documented... i would add this: if someone had ever tried that crap, even when i was pimo, i would have beat the hell out of him. When someone is willing to violate societal norms to that degree (aggressively interrupting a church service) they must be considered a danger and it must be assumed that they will go futher with their anti social behavior.

he needs professional help, not money.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

To each their own. Not my approach. Hope he finds peace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit