Witness No More - any thoughts?

by dozy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Totally negative way to try and get JW's to listen. He's desecrating "the only place of true worship in that area."

Self-defeating, because it confirms their belief that anyone who leaves "the truth" is now obviously demonized/anti-Christ.

Bottom line, how many of us ex/fading JW's here, were woken up by an apostate's rantings & ravings about the org? Very few, I imagine.

How were we as JW's taught how to snare new converts? Find common ground, and then ask viewpoint questions about a topic.

Fight fire with fire!

• blownaway
    blownaway

I feel like what the JWs said about they hate us for going to their door and knocking on Xmas day. Well they hate us anyway. So they hate us when some of us protest inside or outside the hall. They hate us anyway.

• steve2
    steve2

Deducing his mental state from his actions is not helpful - yet at the same time, he is clearly highly distressed and in anguish over what he’s been through. Given that it can be hard even with the support of others to cope with unfair treatment, he comes across as a very lonely man. I get the impression he’s not well liked - or understood - even by other ex-JWs nearby.

I’d be interested to know whether he is suffering from diagnosable mental health problems - not to stigmatise him but to better understand what he could be experiencing that drives him to behave in such a persistently and publically disruptive manner. To the best of my knowledge, he has made no threats against the JWs but I would imagine his behaviour could be perceived as threatening or even menacing.

I’m all for the right to protest - but there comes a time when that right has been abused or misused and the objects of the protest have a right to meet unmolested and in a peaceful manner.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I feel the guys pain, I was disfellowshipped for 'speaking against the organization' back in 2001 and was fuming mad for a couple of years and delving into fantasies of seeing them exposed on a major scale and crashed a few conventions but in time my anger subsided. I'm still looking forward watching them go belly up before I die,, just more settled down after those first few years.

So I hope he finds some comfort for his efforts to expose the WT frauds. As to whether he is doing any good by creating these scenes that remains to be seen.

Loesch's March JW Broadcast telling the rank and file to trust always the Governing Body, and most of the brothers and not to believe any media stories or anything on the internet that puts the governing Body in a bad light sure must being helping this exbrother's cause and so there may be quite a few JDubs that are ready to start trying to find out what are these negative things that they are not supposed to believe.

I think these KH crashing thing will keep on increasing as many more learn TTATT. I probably will never do it again(?), but wish success of those who do. The JWs as far as I'm concerned can use a little excitement at these brain numbing meeting, and as long as no one gets hurt, I say carry on and 'do what thou wilt'.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Do people have any opinions on the efficacy of this kind of activism and what increasingly is the monetisation of ex-JW activities , which seem to have created something of an industry all of its own .

As far as I know, there isn't much research or studies about if/what activism strategies work or doesn't work efficiently. As the long-term, experienced activist that I am, however, I can speak based on my own experience and the ones that I have followed.

First, there are many people who are more into disorderly conduct and attention seeking than activism. Sometimes activism gets a bad rap because of the many so-called activists that are full of nonsense and all they want is attention or create chaos.

To me, my personal rule of activism is very simple: what do I want to accomplish with it? Activism is about bringing positive change, for the benefit of some kind of oppressed class. By "benefit" I can mean awareness, education, actions, reform, or any kind of change.

Activism is not just showing up somewhere and creating some kind of chaos or looking for negative ways of getting attention. There is planning, logistics, and most importantly, strategy as to what is the right way, the right message, and the right people to bother.

When it comes to the level of aggressiveness, it is something that should not be taken lightly. When it comes to a collective, I also look at the real, personal reasons for others to get involved. Many times I find a rather large number of people who just want to march, yell and get attention, and sometimes can't even articulate what they are fighting for.

When it comes to consistency and sustainability, that's where you really see the efficacy and level of commitment of the activist(s). Real activism is not about just the "demonstration". There is a lot of follow up, dialog to start, negotiating to do, campaigns to start, that is, if there is real commitment to change, which is what real activism is about.

So, to answer your inquiry, in my educated opinion, what needs to be followed is how was that planned, where do the activist(s) come from in terms of why are they doing that, how did they decided that what they are doing is the best strategy, but most importantly is what happens after. What do they aim to do? What do they want the JWs or the WT to do or know? Even if it's just making the point that the WT is covering up for sexual abuse of children, and they want people to know, that's a great thing. But then what?

The answers to those questions can give you a clue of the kind of real or fake activism that it can be, as well as how effective it is/can be (or even if being effective is what those people are really aiming for).

• steve2
    steve2

Depends what the individual’s aim for their “activism” is: If their aim is to serve notice on the organization and, by extension, the elders and/or the local congregation, their ability to be heard stamps their aim as successful.

If their aim is to peek Witnesses’ curiosity and interest in their message, the outcome is not so certain. But, from the activists’ perspective,just providing JWs with the information (e.g., “Go to JWfacts.com”) is a success.

However, if their aim is to persuade the Witnesses that JW organization is wrong in specified teachings or policies, there are probably less shrill and more dignified and effective ways to accomplish that aim.

• LV101
    LV101

I agree with many but like Steve2's analysis/post. Is it possible he see an attorney for psychological harm and any damages. His poor child must be suffering, also.

• Nickr8123
    Nickr8123

All his videos on youtube are no longer there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit