Sometimes I feel like I Should Believe something...

by freemamaof3 50 Replies latest jw experiences

• LV101
    LV101

I only want to believe what the facts and evidence reveal - REALITY 101! Even though I can't prove there is no god(s) I'm assuming it's hype. What I try to ignore just to feel good ends up killing me in the end. I got along much better, even as a child, when I was a skeptic in the Baptist Church.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

First, don't believe anything the poster "Believer" ^^^ writes. He is an a@@hole. He comes in with an attitude, worship god, or you are beneath me. (Middle finger salute to him). The old poster LARS was so much more original and fun.

Secondly, knowing what country you live in, usually indicates which god(s) you were raised to believe in. You were raised in the man made up Jdub religion so you were taught to worship the Israelite god of war, Jehovah. Now that religion is worshipping the GB. They are like the Catholics with their Pope.

ALL religions and gods are made up by people to intentionally have power, mixed with mysticism over an other. Is that what you want?

Do you have someone right now in your life that you love, over the moon and back and would do anything for them and they you? If you do, you have something solid, not imaginary.

Gods, are imaginary.

Belief in something... out there.. is fantasy thinking. Maybe you have too much time on your hands?

LoisLane

• Believer
    Believer

Coffy, you don’t want me to include you in a stereotype of atheists? Okay, fair enough. I’ll ask the same of you. Don’t thrust your silly stereotypes upon me.

While I do believe God is the first cause of everything, I don’t subscribe to any position akin to a “lazy God doing it.” In an earlier post, I summarized my belief that evolution is the technique of creation. I have no objection to the theory of evolution. As I believe you acknowledged, (or maybe it was someone else), evolution does not prove that there is no God. So believing in God and accepting evolution are not mutually exclusive.

And you said:

This atheist believes in love and joy and beauty and the awesomeness of the cosmos.

So you do believe in some things that cannot be proved by empirical evidence! That's wonderful!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I did at first find the uncertainty uncomfortable, but that went away as time went on and I accepted that this life is all there is.

I belief in my family and friends and beautiful sunsets and creativity and that is enough for me.

• cofty
    cofty

Believer - The fact that I feel love or joy or that I am amazed by the beauty and ingenuity of living things proves nothing that helps your case for god.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

We are made to feel that we must follow an established "belief system". Like we have to fit into a ready made mold of life and thought and beliefs...

This video (and others in their series) is very thought provoking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAIpRRZvnJg

• Believer
    Believer

LoisLane looking for Superman

You don’t agree with me. Fine. But there’s no need for name calling. People on this site think name calling doesn’t happen here. So don’t prove them wrong.

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

I think I can see what you mean. I am more agnostic than anything, but there's a little atheist in me too. The thing that makes me wonder sometimes is that I've actually seen stuff with my own eyes that I felt were undeniably spiritual in nature.

I don't really think there is a god, but something made the events I witnessed happen. One thing is for sure in my book, there is more that we don't know about life than we do know. I try to be open minded when my brain allows it...

TB-

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

The reason you feel like that is partially due to being raised in a cult religion but primarily because we are born with the innate feeling of wanting to live forever. We are not like animals that have very limited thinking capacity when compared to humans. The fact that we are self-aware (consciously aware of existence) and value our life and wish never to die, at least not normally, is indicative that we we're never meant to live and die so young. How can a tree that is an inanimate object live longer than a human being? How can some animals who have nowhere near the creative capacity of humans outlive us sometimes by decades?

You are going to get a lot of people posting that we should just enjoy life which we should, but not look forward to dying. A lot of members are so put off by the WT that they have gone off the cliff and would rather just enjoy the 80 year life span and then die when their mind is screaming NO!!! I'm not ready to die!! I want to live!! The exception would be if you are suffering from maladies and diseases but even then, many people fight to stay alive. You have to ask yourself why we wish to preserve our life when evolutionists are telling us it's normal to just check out at 80+ years.

• cofty
    cofty
    You have to ask yourself why we wish to preserve our life when evolutionists are telling us it's normal to just check out at 80+ years. - Teancious

Because all the hominids who ever lived and who didn't have a strong desire to protect and prolong their lives didn't leave ancestors.

Next question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit