Watchtower let off the hook by the UK charities commission

by jambon1 19 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

Say what they like, but it's a definite withdrawal of pressure. The commission is slow, needlessly protracted and inconsiderate of the extent to which ongoing damage is being carried out.

Scrap it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/watch-tower-statement-on-administrative-court-proceedings

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

I think it is the case that the Charity Commission simply got the documents from the WTBTS that they required, nothing more.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Thank you for posting this.

I don't know why you see this as being a withdrawal of pressure, though.

Take another look at the last paragraph on that page.

"With the legal proceedings now settled, the Commission will continue to work with the charity to establish the facts and understand the charity’s safeguarding policy, procedures and practices in order to explore the issues that are the subject of the ongoing statutory inquiry and address the Commission’s regulatory concerns. The inquiry remains ongoing and the Commission will publish a report of its findings at its conclusion."

Continue to work with..explore the issues..address the concerns..the inqury remains ongoing..

The proceedings to get the necessary documents are done with, that is all.

This isn't over, it's finally getting started. ;)

• jambon1
    jambon1

The wording seems very tame and ambiguous.

i can't believe that nearly three years have passed to simply get to this stage.

Its not as if it isn't an urgent and pressing matter.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I think the Charity Commision, far from withdrawing pressure, just wants to get on with the damn job it's been mandated to do and get the WT to quit these protracted and ( costly to the tax payer) legal proceedings it's so bloody fond of. I just hope the Commission has got what it needs to do a thorough investigation

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    jambon - "I can't believe that nearly three years have passed to simply get to this stage."

There's been some resistance to the Commission in certain levels of the British government.

So much so, in fact, that three of the Commission's Directors have resigned is as many years.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Faithful dubs in Britain should ask COs why so much money, huge amount, used for a Judicial Review and then appeal to the Supreme Court, UK press not much coverage, if any..

Costs of Judicial Review and then Supreme Court Appeal must run Into hundreds of thousands, yet rank and file have no idea these things happened. Mentioned it to one dub relative and the usual response, "no, never happened, evil apostates spreading lives."

Time to post details to national and local press. Amazing what you can get away with when your followers all drugged.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Lostandfound - "...Amazing what you can get away with when your followers are all drugged."

Nice analogy.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I wonder if this is related to last weeks news that Nick Beales was leaving the Charity Commission and his role was being taken over by Alex Uden?

Dear all,

I am writing to advise that as of next Monday responsibility for our ongoing statutory inquiry into Watch Tower will pass to my colleague, Alex Uden. Alex can be reached at [email protected] and is looking forward to working with all of you as our investigation moves to its next stage. I am sure he will be in touch in due course with an update on our work.

[snip]

Kind regards,

Nick Beales

• sp74bb
    sp74bb

Copy of Email dated today from Alex Uden:

----

Dear All,

As you know I have now taken over responsibility for the Watch Tower Inquiry. I am looking forward to working with you all in the future and would like to thank you all for the invaluable information you have already provided which I am familiarising myself with.

I am also writing to let you know that the Charity Commission will be publishing a statement on the gov.uk website today at 10am (I will send you a link to this later today). This will report that we have withdrawn a Production Order, which had previously been made under section 52(1) of the Charities Act 2011, requiring Watch Tower to disclose documents that the Commission considered were relevant to the inquiry.

You will see our reasons for doing this in the statement. However, I wanted to reassure you all that this does not represent a step backwards in the Inquiry.

Watch Tower has already provided some of the information which the Order required them to disclose and we have obtained additional information from other sources such as yourselves.

I understand that many of you are frustrated with the speed of the Inquiry, which has been delayed by recent litigation. The revocation of the Order will make future litigation less likely and hopefully allow us to engage with the charity to address our concerns in a more productive way.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you want to discuss this further.

Kind Regards,

Alex Uden

Senior Investigator

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit