Watch: Comedian Lewis Black Reads 18 Year Old's Awesome Resignation Letter To The Mormon Church

by Captain Schmideo2 24 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

If one cant make their points without harsh profanity then it wont make deep inroads of change.

From which planet are you from???

• Heaven
    Heaven

Makemeanunbeliever said: If one cant make their points without harsh profanity then it wont make deep inroads of change.

I do know what you mean Make. It's the people with too fragile a constitution. However, I have found, with age, comes profanity.

I never used to swear. Never. Now my fave word is the 'f' bomb followed by the 'w' word (whatever). I surmise it is because as we go through this life, the bullshit keeps piling higher and higher. When one's crap bucket gets to overflowing, and the stench and attracted insects, vermin etc are too much to bear, one begins letting the swear words fly.

Lewis Black is one of my faves. His Red, White, and Screwed show was great. Love the title on this one too... The Rant is Due. 'Red, White and Screwed'

• pbrow
    pbrow

Great line at the end...

I sleep well at night and when I sleep in on sunday and have my coffee I realize that the mormon church is as much of a joke as it was when i went to bed the night before.... roughly paraphrased

I love that I am with the silent majority to be able to say...

"I am not a jehovah's witness... bitch!! "

pbrow

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    makemeanunbeliever: If one cant make their points without harsh profanity then it wont make deep inroads of change.

I don't think that a comedian's rant is about making change. Since when are comedians held up to the standard of activism?

This is comedy, not activism. Comedy is about finding "voice", not about satisfying the audience's need to see change.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Very funny......... just sent it on to close family members who will appreciate the humor.

• Simon
    Simon
    I don't think that a comedian's rant is about making change. Since when are comedians held up to the standard of activism?

You'd be surprised. Comedy allows people to say things they otherwise couldn't.

Look at Bill Cosby ... his path to justice started with someone making a joke.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Simon, I am fully aware of the power of comedy as a resistive force. Without question it can function that way.

However, that does not mean that all comedy performances have to be held to the standard of activism.

And, to expect comedy to function within a proscribed moral space that makes judgements on the use of profane language is ignoring the diversity of the audience.

• Simon
    Simon
    However, that does not mean that all comedy performances have to be held to the standard of activism.

You've used the term "standard of activism" twice now. What do you mean by it? To me it's a rather vague and meaningless phrase just being used to diminish something else because it lacks context - who's standard are you talking about?

AFAIK there is no ISO standard for activism.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

"Standard" of activism.

= using the philosphies of an activist approach in order to define a comedic performance.

Standard = measurement.

Standard of activism = using the notion of activism as a way to measure comedy

• Simon
    Simon
    Standard of activism = using the notion of activism as a way to measure comedy

OK, that makes absolutely no sense to me.

You were talking about it being held up to a standard but what is lacking is any definition of that standard. Saying it's a measure doesn't help or add anything (it's the definition of 'standard' in this context) - what is the scale? Who defines it? Where can we find it to see if things "measure up"?

I think the reality is that there is no standard for activism. Some people think anything goes, some people do things that could be viewed as ultimately hurting their cause. What is the standard that we get to hold activists up to or can they not be judged? Must everyone else be judged by them? What classifies as activist? Having a blog? Posting something on Twitter?

Comedy and satire seems to be one of the most effective ways to make a point and to reach a wide audience.

In this case, the video itself has been watched 80,000 times and that doesn't count how many people have read pieces about the video. By any measure that would seem to me to be effective.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit