They Came To The Door!

by NotFormer 37 Replies latest jw friends

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Going door to door with their "memorial" invitation. "So you can pass the emblems but nobody partakes?" says I.

Them: "We can explain who is to partake".

Me: "All Jesus' followers". (I quote John 20:31) "All who believe in Jesus are his brothers".

Them: "It's been nice talking to you! Bye!"

Me: Bye, bye!

That's a condensed version of the conversation. The lady commented that I seem to know a lot about them. I commented that I've known a JW or two over the years, but I'm not what she'd call an apostate; I've never even set foot in the door of a Kingdom Hall.

But I do seem to recall that outsiders who are vigorous enough opposers are tarred with the same brush as "apostates". Perhaps word will circulate not to visit me anymore. (Although that may constitute a breach of some data protection/privacy Act?)

Anyway, I was arguably nicer this time, although I still wasn't in a perfect space for such a conversation.

Hopefully Vidiot approves... 😏

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Yep, the days of jdubs defending their beliefs are long gone

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

They are not prepared for someone who understands their beliefs and can challenge them. And the WTS has always known this, which is why JWs are advised to avoid engaging with anyone whom the feel is 'undermining their faith.' Ask the wrong questions and they will leave, and they will probably tell others not to knock on your door anymore.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

nowwhat?, yes 20 or 30 years ago, you could have a robust and, dare I say it, fun conversation with JWs at the door. As you say, those days seem to be long gone.

TonusOH, it's probably better if they don't. When I'm in the right frame of mind, I can be perfectly charming and engaging as a conversationalist. But I'm not always in that frame of mind. They've been around twice since our move, and neither of those times was right for me to be good company.

It's a little sad; they used to know what they believed and would defend it vigorously. It's hard to blame the R&F, the GB keeps changing everything so rapidly that it's hard to keep up with the belief du jour, I guess. 🙄

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

WT HQ has turned JW minds to absolute MUSH. There is no fight or argument left in them. There is no "Theocratic Ministry School" to teach them proper responses and even the old brown "Reasoning from the Scriptures" book is considered "Old Light" and never referenced. It's simply, "Here, take this card and visit the JW.borg website. Bye!" as they anxiously scurry off to their coffee break. Better yet if they are manning a JW cart, because really - who comes up to them? LOL!!! Nobody!

WT's latest music video tells JW's to just shut off the brains if they have doubts and busy themselves with WT propaganda and to simply OBEY.

It's the cringiest cult on the planet, and it just keeps getting dumber and even more cultier.

• Magnum
    Magnum
    nowwhat?: Yep, the days of jdubs defending their beliefs are long gone
    TonusOH: They are not prepared for someone who understands their beliefs and can challenge them.
    NofFormer: they used to know what they believed and would defend it vigorously.
    WingCommander: There is no fight or argument left in them. There is no "Theocratic Ministry School" to teach them proper responses and even the old brown "Reasoning from the Scriptures" book is considered "Old Light" and never referenced. It's simply, "Here, take this card and visit the JW.borg website. Bye!" as they anxiously scurry off to their coffee break. Better yet if they are manning a JW cart, because really - who comes up to them? LOL!!! Nobody!

Totally agree with all posts above. For any lurking here who are still on the fence, please note what's been posted here. This is a major indication that JWs are not what they claim to be. Would the one and only people of the sovereign of the universe be representing him like this? Shouldn't they be boldly defending their doctrine and strongly and boldly giving a clear shout of warning to an entire world they think is about to be violently destroyed? JWs actuallly are insecure about their beliefs, even if it's subconsciously. They like to talk with people who have very little knowledge and who make them feel superior. They get insecure when talking with people who are knowledgeable and label those people as "not ready for the truth" or something like that.

WingCommander: It's the cringiest cult on the planet, and it just keeps getting dumber and even more cultier.

Yep! Again, that shows they are not... they cannot be... what they claim to be. With the light supposedly getting brighter, they should be getting bolder and their message should be getting clearer and they should be getting better able to defend it, but the opposite of all that is happening. JWs are inept, cowardly, insecure, ignorant, etc.

• Gordon
    Gordon

Them: "It's been nice talking to you! Bye!"

Me: Bye, bye!

JWs marked my old house, probably even my who neighborhood, because I didn't follow their D2D rules.

I would show them a couple of my old , now 100 yr old, WT publications which freaked them out, so they left.

Then I followed them outside and announced, I am now preaching to you.

The brave would try to knock on a other door, but I would stand on the side walk and add my disclaimers- "be sure and ask them to explain why the shun their family members who decide to join a Christian church".

In short order, they have to leave my territory, as it got too hot in the kitchen for them.

I'm sure Simon would not agree with that, but to each his own. I have had some great conversations about JWs with neighbors in that old city. I stopped doing that when they went to the literature carts, which was better, then I could talk to them- witnessing the truth about JWs. A copy of the 1984 WT cover about 1914 generation never passing away never failed to evoke a discussion, coaxing JWs out of their comfort zone. I've said enough.

-

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

WT . . . tells JW's to just shut off their brains

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Gordon, you have an enormous set of cojones! 😱 I could never do that!

I remember a bit more of the conversation. About the Lord's supper, I quoted Jesus ' command "This do in remembrance of me". The bloke said "And who was he talking to?" That's when I said what I said above. He made a beeline for the gate and left his wife holding the bag. The remaining dribs and drabs of conversation were with her.

So, yes, they are not the confident debaters they once were, in my recent experience.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

It’s hard to argue your stance when your opponent knows your stance better than you do.

In my opinion, this - more than just about any other reason - is why the Org is dispensing with the door-to-door work faster than you can say “knock, knock”.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit